Looking for IT degree online, suggestions ?

Xyos

Distinguished
I don't know if there are any 2 year IT degrees out there. I work in IT and what I did was a basic computer science degree, and then later got certifications through A+ and Microsoft for IT related topic. If you are looking into It, I really recommend going to a 4 year tech school for IT. If 2 is your only option that is fine too, but either way look into getting intern experience, on the job experience. Experience and connections are SO IMPORTANT.

Do you know what field you want to get into? IT nowadays is more server managing, working with SQL, some Ubuntu, writing batch files, etc. Hardware familiarity is big too, troubleshooting, etc. Try to focus your studies.

cmi86

Distinguished
Thank you for the reply. I have contacted University of Phoenix and they offer an online associates program in applied computer sciences and offer several additional certifications while taking my main course. I have always been really interested in the hardware side of things being an avid system builder but I am not sure how that translates into the corporate world. It would be my belief most companies are using OEM's vs custom builds for their hardware for various reasons. What would you think would be a local (not much traveling) position that would allow me to be regularly involved with the hardware side of things ?

Xyos

Distinguished

I couldn't comment on that, I don't know where you live or businesses in your location (Don't post any personal info here).

In my company we order gigabyte brix units, install the msata ssd and memory and install windows. Mini-atx form factor desktops still are in use, and troubleshooting/fixing them still is needed. Laptops with docking stations are very common as well. Hardware, software, and troubleshooting skills are a huge plus, the more you know the more valuable you are.

Can't recommend enough getting an internship even if its unpaid. Look on google for any tech/software/office companies in your area, contact them all and see if anyone will let you intern. You can also use your school to help with this.

Good luck!