Are there ways to reduce price on this build?

eeza465

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
I am a first time builder and I am wondering about if there are any ways I could lower the price on this build without lowering the performance. Any ideas? Is the liquid cooler overkill? I'd love some thoughts.

Here is the build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PT48yc

Check tigerdirect.com for the 4690k. They should still be having a $40 off purchases over $120, $20 instant off with visa checkout and $20 mail in rebate. If so it should bring it down to around $180 after the rebates.

I don't know much about the h105, the h100i is supposed to be pretty decent and they look similar. Although I do think it might be a little overkill. You could get a noctua nh-d14 for quite a bit less and it will probably cool it nearly as good unless you're not fond of big air coolers. It appears the 105 is an updated h100i so it's a good performing cooler if you plan to overclock quite a bit.

For a few dollars more I'd opt for the antec 620 hcg - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m
It's made by seasonic and a lot better quality psu than the corsair cx.

Looks like a good build.

sammy sung

Distinguished
There's ALWAYS a way to reduce the cost of a build while getting similar or better performance.

First off, your power supply kind of contradicts your heatsink choice. If you're going to do some serious overclocking, I'd go with a unit from a series that isn't geared as a hard budget build type. The CX series supply, although to some degree it'll handle an overclock of sorts, it'll just be a matter of time. And given the array of parts assembled here, I wouldn't want to play russian roulette but saddling them with a sub par source of power.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $68.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-17 17:05 EST-0500

Same price point, but much better suited to the task