Monitor won't turn w/ 8pin & 6pin PCIE connected to GPU

mrpaulrich

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Just completed a pc build. My GPU has a 8pin and 6pin PCIE connections. However when i connect both PS PCIE 8 pin (6+2 pin) and single 6 pin connectors to the GPU, the monitor won't come one. The system seems to power on and all fans are spinning, but no signal from monitor.

If I remove one of those PCIE connectors whichever either the 8 pin or 6 pin or connect two 6 pin PCIE connectors (6pin pluuging into 8 pin socket) the monitor comes on and system boots up fine.

I'm unable to install the drivers for this GPU as the installation is just stucked at the detecting the device
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ueuy4p9elwuwggm/detecting.png?dl=0

What could be my problem?
As far as i know this GPU needs both 8 and 6 pins connected to work as designed

System build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mrpaulrich/saved/p9vD4D

Solution
It sounds to me like you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard, rather than the video card. If you haven't already, disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS at the beginning of start up. To get there, press F2 or Delete "right after you power on the computer" (accd to the user manual: ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/Fatal1ty%20Z97X%20Killer.pdf . . . see page 73).

Once you're in there, you need to find two settings (see page 88 of manual): (1) "Primary Graphics Processor," and (2) "IGPU Multi-Monitor." Set the first setting to "PCI-Express" and the second one to "Disable." Then "exit" (top right), save, and power down. While the computer is off, remove the monitor plug from the motherboard and then plug it into the graphics card...

Eggz

Distinguished
It sounds to me like you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard, rather than the video card. If you haven't already, disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS at the beginning of start up. To get there, press F2 or Delete "right after you power on the computer" (accd to the user manual: ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/Fatal1ty%20Z97X%20Killer.pdf . . . see page 73).

Once you're in there, you need to find two settings (see page 88 of manual): (1) "Primary Graphics Processor," and (2) "IGPU Multi-Monitor." Set the first setting to "PCI-Express" and the second one to "Disable." Then "exit" (top right), save, and power down. While the computer is off, remove the monitor plug from the motherboard and then plug it into the graphics card at the back of your computer. Power on the computer.

If that doesn't work, then there may be something wrong with your card, but be sure those settings are configured first.

Solution