New PC Build Suggestions/Advice

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I am planning on building a new gaming PC in the next week or two and I have a pretty good idea of my budget and what parts that I plan to use. I am posting this as I would really appreciate anyone's advice/feedback on what you think about my selection of parts. I would like to know if they are over kill for my needs or I need to get something better/I could get something better for the same/close to same price and if there is what would you recommend instead of my part? My budget is around 1400-1500$, but I don't mind spending a little extra if it's really worth it to make my PC last longer and be a lot better. I really appreciate anyone's help in advance and just let me know if I left anything out.

Case: Corsair 750D
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Edition
HDD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Heatsink/Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110

Thanks again for any help in advance!

-Clay

I don't see a motherboard or hdd's listed, not sure if you're migrating these things from a previous pc? All the parts look good and well matched. If it's strictly for gaming, the i7's don't offer much performance increase over i5's. So long as it's in your budget, for overall system performance and longevity the i7 could still be a good choice depending what else you use your pc for.

clayestes

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010

Sorry about that, it was late and I thought I was leaving something out! The MB i plan on using is the: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK. Also I will probably end up getting a: WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB as my HDD, altough depending on how much money I have I may opt to just get the SSD for now to install games on and get the 1TB HDD next month. Also I think I can get an i7-4790k for around the same price as an i5 so I will just go with that. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it!

That sounds like a good plan, the ssd will be big enough for the short term (holding all files including os and games). Wd black's are good hard drives, I've had good luck with a couple of re4's I've been using for the past couple of years. Basically the same drive other than slight differences for raid capability. If you can get the i7 for the same price as an i5 then go for it. I would.

The only reason people suggest the i5 is because there's little performance boost in gaming with an i7 and they generally cost a good $80+ more than an i5. For sticking within a budget, that extra money for the i7 could be better put to use to upgrading the graphics card in most situations.

I think you'll be happy with the motherboard choice too. The past few builds I've used gigabyte boards and been happy with them. No issues to speak of, the bios can be a little different for overclocking and about the only typical complaint is with the built in settings/software for easy overclocking (easy tune). It has a tendency to be a bit too aggressive using one click options, but regular manual overclocking and fine control is no issue on their boards if that's something you're planning on. Looks like the system should be really solid and last you several years with no problem.