Hdmi port on computer, connecting to vga monitor through cable adapters

korks

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Right now i am simply using vga/dvi adapter connected to a dvi/hdmi adapter which is plugged into the hdmi port on my laptop running windows 8.1 . Not working though: the very old Acer monitor detects that the cable gets plugged in to computer but displays "No Signal".

Silly attempt at solution but I just used what was lying around the house :p. Do I need an external signal converter or could i perhaps install a driver that outputs vga signal on my hdmi port or something? In short can I solve this without buying more stuff?

Solution
DVI to VGA adapters work because they can take the analog signal found in some DVI plugs (DVI-I, not DVI-D) and pass it onto the VGA part of the adapter. HDMI is digital only, so there is no Analog signal for the monitor to pick up and display. You can buy an Active HDMI to VGA adapter if you want. I'd probably just get a newer monitor if you are using one with only VGA and lacks any form of DVI/HDMI.
HDMI ports tend to have just a digital signal and thus you DO need an digital to analog converter.

This active device tends to require power of its own(most times from a USB port). You have to ensure the adapter is active to make it work.

Another option may be a USB adapter that uses a displaylink controller and has a DVI/VGA port. These do not perform as well, but some users like them for work computers that do not have enough video outputs.

4745454b

Titan
DVI to VGA adapters work because they can take the analog signal found in some DVI plugs (DVI-I, not DVI-D) and pass it onto the VGA part of the adapter. HDMI is digital only, so there is no Analog signal for the monitor to pick up and display. You can buy an Active HDMI to VGA adapter if you want. I'd probably just get a newer monitor if you are using one with only VGA and lacks any form of DVI/HDMI.

Solution