Computer freezes, no BSOD, requires restart

Rathez

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
I've been working on this issue for a while now and am at a loss as to what it could be.

When I first boot up my computer for the day, it will load properly and get to the desktop. However, if I start running software or playing games right away, eventually it will freeze. If I'm playing a game, the video freezes, my audio loops the last half second or so (making a buzzing sound), other peripherals disconnect, and I'm required to power down the computer. If I run any software like a virus scan, it will lock up as well, but with no audio loop as there is no sound.

However, after it crashes this one time and I restart, I will not get a crash again, until I power down for the night and try again the next day. A similar thing happens if I let my computer sit at the desktop for some time before I attempt to do anything on it; sort of 'warming up'.

Any clue what could be causing this? I wiped my HDD and reinstalled windows, reinstalling all the necessary drivers, and installing a single game. The issue still persists. I have been monitoring temperatures, but this does not seem to be the issue, and I have a water cooling system installed for my CPU.

Specs:

i7 920
GTX 560 ti
6GB(2x3) triple-channel 1333 RAM
MSI x58 Pro Mother board
500W Power supply
H60 Corsair water cooling

Everything but the video card is from about 2009. The video card is about 2-3 years old now.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Might be software conflicts, registry errors, or other crap. Give CCleaner a run. Do the Clean and Registry portions both.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
If it finds a bunch of stuff, you may want to re-run it to be sure it found all the crap the first time.

If still no joy, you may want to do a memory check. Download memtest and use the .ISO file to burn a bootable CD. Boot to memtest and let it run for at least one full pass on each stick of memory in the first slot individually.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
If any errors at all show up, the stick of RAM is bad.