Question about high response times.

mazzulmaz

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
So I might be able to get my hands on a HP ZR2740w. Normally this is a fairly expensive monitor but someone is selling it second handed for a low 200 euro's. For this I get a 60Hz 2560x1440p monitor. Sounds good, right?

Here's the problem. It's response time is 14ms. Now I read somewhere that when you run 60Hz, as long as you stay below 16ms you should be fine, but I would like someone to verify that. I'll use it primarily for gaming.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I am not an expert either but the math makes sense, in order to make efficient use of the 60hz refresh rate, you couldn't go any higher than 16 ms response time, 16 pretty much matches perfectly. 1000 ms / 60 hz = 16.6667 ms response time. I think that's where they got it. personally if you are into counter strike or quake or any fast paced online games, minimize the lag between you and what's going on as much as possible.

EyesOfAdonai

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
I am not an expert either but the math makes sense, in order to make efficient use of the 60hz refresh rate, you couldn't go any higher than 16 ms response time, 16 pretty much matches perfectly. 1000 ms / 60 hz = 16.6667 ms response time. I think that's where they got it. personally if you are into counter strike or quake or any fast paced online games, minimize the lag between you and what's going on as much as possible.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
It all really depends on the type of gaming that your doing. Typically most pc monitors are @8 ms or faster but some of us that use HDTV's with HDMI cords are at about 20-50 ms which can be massive especially with FPS like BF4 (although im pretty much used to it and can still maintain at least 2/1 k/d ;) ). Even though the monitor is 14ms for the price you really can't beat it.