Best gaming monitor for mostly mmorpg - TN vs IPS

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello,

I am sorry that I created a new thread here, however I did a little research on internet and I got only mix feelings since no thread was straight to my point.

I use my pc on playing games such as Dragon Age, Witch, WoW, League of Legends etc. meaning I do not play FPS games such as CS often or more likely really rarely with friends.

From the information on internet I understand that in this case I should get IPS monitor with good respond time (1-5ms). However I saw some videos compering TN vs IPS on lol and games like that and text and some movements during battles was kinda blurry. So I have no idea right now.

I would like you to tell me, which pc monitor (24 inch) should I buy in this case, while my budget is 6500 CZ (that is 300 USD, however pricing in EU is different so I guess its somewhere 250 USD instead)

BTW: My current monitor is Philips 220WS, CPU - I5, GPU - GTX 750 Ti ( it can in future change into something better).

I am sorry for my english.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

Thank you all for your answers. I guess IPS after all :) Anyway I think that no matter what monitor I get It will be better then my old, though I do not know any specification on it, only that its really old like 9-10 years.

Can you suggest your ideas on IPS monitor then?

give me a budget.. ill suggest you one

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

As I mentioned. It should be up to 7 000 CZ = 350USD. BUT Prices in EU are different so in reality its somewhere around 250-300 USD

As someone who has both IPS and TN Monitors.

1. IPS has more accurate colors.... note I didn't say "better colors", I said more accurate colors. So when you look at grandmas glamor shots for editing on a TN screen, the rouge on her cheeks may have the prints coming out with it lighter or darker than you intended in prints. For gaming, this really effect unless you care whether the superhero costume should be ice blue or artic blue. Not all TNs are 6 bit and not all IPS are 8 bit. The RoG Swift TN panel is 8 bit for example.... I have used 10 bit IPS panels.

2. IPS has better viewing angles.... so if ya have 2 friends over watching a movie, one on either side of you, ... you will see just fine but because of their varying view angles, they will see some color distortion.

3. IPS is more expensive technology .... comparing a $150 IPS with a $150 TN is no contest, a $150 IPS monitor will use a very low end panel. A 4150 TN will use amid range panel.

4. IPS has very poor contrast and no true black .... this is generally referred to as the "IPS Glow" ..... playing games in dark conditions leaves the player somewhat hampered. Darkness is not true darkness because of light bleed. For example, in a Diablo type dungeon, at the edge of your torch's light you can very easily see the light reflection off approaching baddies where on IPS, that light gets lost n the background haze.

5. Lag is a minor issue with IPS compared with motion blur and ghosting.....forget advertised 9(read fake) ms numbers

Dell U2414 IPS
dell_u2414h.jpg

Asus VG278HE TN
asus_vg278he.jpg

For motion blur, look at the blurbusters site

6. The big issue between IPS and TN is no 144 Hz w/ IPS....as you can see in the image above images

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

We will just re-iterate that at the moment we feel this [Rog Swift PG278QTN] is the ultimate gaming screen. Response times, lag, refresh rate, G-sync and the ULMB feature all delivered and impressed

Unfortunately there is no best type of monitor .... it's like asking which is the best tool, a screwdriver, wrench or hammer .... it kinda depends on whether ya wanna drive in a nail, take out a screw or tighten a bolt. Same here. When doing a report with photos, image editing, etc, we all wanna use the machine w/ the IPS panel. But for gaming ,,,, with 5 machines available here, if 4 of us are playing, the machine going unused is the one with the IPS panel.... and one of those machines is a laptop.

do you have any websites you prefer to buy from?

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

Well generally I buy from local website ( http://www.czc.cz ). Up to 7 000 CZK, if it could be lower around 6 000 would be fantasctic ...

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

Hmm really nice :) Though It is 27 inch. I would really like 24 more, because of my table space my monitor is infront of me just in an arm length. And 27 is too much for me I guess. Then I heard that to have good 27 inch monitor + screen you would have to aim for higher resolution then full HD cuz pixels not?

Thne again, I am really glad for you taking time and looking into it. But isnt there any 24 inch. Also if you were to take second look, could you suggest two? one IPS and one TN? Because as someone here mentioned, I am usually playing in dark and if IPS has problem with it, it would be a problem.

I'm sorry but that is incorrect.... have a $1,000 IPS in same room as a $250 TN and a $2,000 CRT..... looking at a dark seen you can clearly see approaching baddies on the TN that can not be seen on the IPS. Google "IPS Glow"

http://www.overclock.net/t/1321750/is-this-crazy-ips-glow

Both technologies have their advantages but truly "black" blacks is not one for IPS....

-With a quality TN panel, a black scene looks very close to a TV / Monitor with switch off.
-With a quality IPS panel, a black scene looks very close to a TV / Monitor with no signal to the unit... turn it off it's highly noticeable.... turn it on, there's a very noticeable glow.

why do you have an IPS ,TN and a CRT in a same room
why do you have a 2000$ IPS .. you could buy a 400-500$ AH-IPS A+

The video compares a rather decent IPS monitor with a TN panel that was universally trashed in reviews. We could also compare a 290x and nVidia 750 and declare AMD better across the board. I didn't see any moving images in the video that address the issue I spoke of ... that being being able to detect moving objects in low light conditions.

For still images, I definitely prefer the IPS panel.....but again, we have 5 people here playing games and the $1,000 IPS get used only when the others are already in use. It's mostly the ghost images and 60Hz limitations that annoy ya but in a competitive gaming scenario, even a friendly one, being seen before you can see ya opponent is a distinct disadvantage.

I wouldn't be w/o an IPS panel in the home / office.... where it excels, it excels significantly .... gaming is just not one of them, at least not yet .... no 144 Hz, no 3D, no G-Sync / LightBoost, ghosting (see above images) , lag. Yes the colors are better when comparing 8 bit versus 6 bit panels but not significantly so when both are 8 bit....viewing angles remain a weakness on TN but not really much of an issue when sitting directly in front of monitor. There's a reason why IPS panels are absent from gaming competitions.

If I had an unlimited budget, I'd have a 3 + 1 set up with 3 x 2560 x 1440 Asus Swift TN panels with the +1 above the center screen being a 2560 x 1440 (or 1600) Eizo IPS panel.

Enapace

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

Well people who prefer G-Sync or higher refresh rates quite a big segment of the gaming community.

there seems to be quiet a few who possess the money to buy high refresh rate g-sync dislays.... IPS is more general value for money and performs pretty well

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Well I see there is a some discusion between people who prefer ISP and TN. Both have good arguments why buy this one or that one. Well now i am more confused then I was before :)

I am a person who does not play FPS games, only game that would maybe benefit from TN is League of Legends. Otherwise I prefer games like Dragon age, world of warcraft (where in raid you almost never get 60+FPS no? Unless you have really good rig which I dont).

In any way right now I have Philips 220WS. Lol and dragon age are playing on 60HZ and WoW somewhere between 60-110-120. Depends on settings, place, activity.

So what :)

chenw

Honorable
Not necessarily. I am a 'normal' gamer in a sense that I play games non-competitively online, and mostly single player. I have RoG Swift, and I'll admit, I feel 144hz > 60hz, which is why I didn't go IPS, despite that I had an IPS screen (I passed that monitor to my family, since for them, IPS would be better).

But again, it's purely down to what you are looking for in games. For me, a few color difference here and there doesn't justify lower refresh rate, even for games that don't rely on refresh rates.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Seems like it.

I was looking into a monitor that was mentioned here - Dell UltraSharp U2414H. It seems that many people like it on forums like mmo, steam, battle.net. Also I was told to take look at EIZO FORIS FS2434-BK. I know its more expensive and it does not have so much colors as dell, but still its IPS with low respond and said to be gaming. Or new Benq BL2411PT

chenw

Honorable
For a normal layman, you are less likely to be unhappy about an IPS monitor than a TN panel, because a bad TN panel is worse than an IPS panel (though bad IPS are also pretty bad).

If you don't know what you are looking for, it is safer to go with IPS, it is a rarely dissappointing monitor. If you KNOW what you are looking for, then a good TN can be good, but a good TN is expensive, but then again, so is a good IPS.