Why SOLVED in the heading?

nludian

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and if so I apologize for my frustration, but why does this site attach a SOLVED banner to help request threads that have not reached any kind of resolution whatsoever? I don't mean to criticize but it's very frustrating to be looking for an answer to a problem and to see such a well respected website promising answers to my questions in discussions that simply peeter out and stop. I'm frustrated so pardon me that, but whats the point? I mean unless the pages I went to have a page two I can't find (and maybe thats it, proof that I'm senile at last) then none of them were anywhere close to resolved. Is it for clicks & fizzles?

Solution
To answer the original question. Once a best answer has been chosen the thread is marked as solved. Quite often the thread originator simply abandons the thread after one post and the conversation just naturally dies out.

And we punish those that we catch doing that.

Management is paying contractors to provide closure to old threads that have been abandoned by the thread originator. Their choices can sometimes be questionable. However, the rules concerning best answers are quite simple:

1. If the thread originator has chosen an answer you leave it alone, period.
2. If you come across an obviously abandoned...
To answer the original question. Once a best answer has been chosen the thread is marked as solved. Quite often the thread originator simply abandons the thread after one post and the conversation just naturally dies out.

And we punish those that we catch doing that.

Management is paying contractors to provide closure to old threads that have been abandoned by the thread originator. Their choices can sometimes be questionable. However, the rules concerning best answers are quite simple:

1. If the thread originator has chosen an answer you leave it alone, period.
2. If you come across an obviously abandoned thread (2 or more months old) with no chosen answer you may choose one.
3. If you come across a thread with an answer that is obviously wrong, or a better one exists, you may change it, unless the answer was chosen by the thread originator, in which case you abide by rule #1.
4. You do not choose an answer in an active thread unless you are the thread originator.

With great power also comes great responsibility, so be very careful with this power.

The moderator team is quite adept at spotting and dealing with abuse of the BA system.

Solution
IIRC there's a 100 post requirement for the BA selection. Once an answer is selected by the OP is there no way for the OP to go back and unselect that answer as BA? I get asked quite often how to unselect BA and just end up doing it for them. (is that wrong?)

Once you have 5 BA's of your own you acquire the power to select BA's in other threads, it has nothing to do with post count. It was an oversight by the developers that prevents a thread originator deselecting an answer that they themselves selected. Correcting this does not appear to be high on the priority list at the moment.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i got a warning for selecting best answer to a thread that was not mine. i had not selected it and it was quickly recalled but it shows they are on the lookout for people selecting the ba when it's not their place.

and kudos to the op for actually looking for an answer in the solved threads rather than simply posting a new thread that asks the same question :D

if everyone would do this, i could avoid cutting and pasting answers 25 times a day.

I think that's ridiculous. If you don't want just anyone to push the best answer button, then don't have it available to anyone to press except the op or a mod. These rules are not obvious to everyone. If contractors are getting paid to do this cleanup, then give them the special privileges to do so.