How to ground with painted case and power supply?

dtorres0205

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
I'm gonna do my first build, but I'm nervous about killing my parts with static. I've done some research and I know how to ground, but my situation is a bit more complicated. Both my case and power supply are painted, and I don't know how to ground in this situation. I was a little frustrated to find conflicting information on how to go about this, so I'm asking for help.

Is paint conductive? If so, how can I ground without exposed metal(I'd prefer a simple solution)?

RealBeast

Titan
Static is not an issue if you are careful and don't go shuffling about in wool socks. The inside of your case or the screws that hold in your PSU are probably not painted so just touch them occasionally.

Also, avoid touching the contact portion of parts, which you should not do anyway.

Many hundreds of builds and never had an issue with static by just using common sense; also avoid large containers of beer near the build -- did run into that issue years ago with a build. :D

I think even with paint you should be fine touching the case so long as it's metal. It just won't do you any good to touch plastic since plastic is an insulator and not a conductor. It's not like grounding a circuit where you need bare metal contact for a ground wire, it's just to discharge any static electricity. If working on a hard surface (table top of some sort) and a hard floor (non carpet) you should probably be ok. It's not a huge issue, it's just a safeguard in the event you do have any static built up.