Monitor goes to sleep after new GPU installation

chippey5

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Monitor going to sleep after installing new GPU.

Hi guys,

I recently bought myself an ASUS GeForce 980 STRIX DC2OC-4GD5. When I booted the computer after replacing my old one, I installed the latest drivers and wanted to see the power of it so I started Far Cry 4. Out of nowhere, when starting the game my monitor went to sleep mode and I wasn't able to interact with the PC. I tried this about 3 times and ended up with the same result.

I have no idea what the problem could be. I tried to reinstall all NVIDIA drivers by first uninstalling everything with "nvidia" in it and then installing the latest driver from the website. After doing so, I wasn't even able to pass the bootanimation: "Windows is starting", because the monitor went to sleep after that instead.

My specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77

CPU: Intel i7 3770

PSU: Plexgear PS-600, 600W

GPU: ASUS GeForce 980 STRIX DC2OC-4GD5

RAM: 2x 4GB (forgot what the specs were for this one)

The PCU is enough according to some people, so I really wonder what the problem is.

Greatful for any help

Solution
Issue resolved

The modular PSU EVGA Supernova G2 had a cable that was missing from the graphics card. As I suspected, the graphics card didn't receive enough power. It has 2 power slots, one 4x2 pin and one 3x2 pin. However, the GPU came with an adapter that made the 4x2-pin slot to two 3x2-pin slots for power. My previous GPU, the Asus GTX560 DirectCU 2 Top needed two 3x2-pin cables, so I thought it was enough. Just before I was about to return the GPU I gave another shot. Something told me to try the old GPU, where I had forgotten it needed two 3x2-pin adapters for it to work.

The funny thing is that my new GPU didn't need that to work at all. The reason why I didn't do it at first was because the instructions manual...

rdc85

Honorable
try run in safe mode if u able to..
if u can get to that then try boot to low resolution mode (vga) mode...

both are using generic windows vga driver so if both boot fine then it's the nvidia driver problem.
if u cannot enter both mode, then it could be something else either the card or psu..

chippey5

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I did reboot into safe mode without problems and tried to reinstall the driver there, but that's when it didn't let me do a full boot at all anymore.

I'm ready to buy a new PSU since the one I have now is old and pretty much a cheap product.

If I'm correct I read that a 550W PSU was recommend for the GTX980 and since mine is 600, it could be that it performs lower than 600W and fails to serve the GPU..

rdc85

Honorable
safe mode will not allow installing driver (their purpose are for uninstall problematic driver and other thing..)..
since u able to go to safe mode.

now tries low resolution mode (win7) or vga mode (win xp) both are same just different naming..
it then should load generic windows vga driver...

if u got in, u can reinstall the nvidia driver from that mode....
try using the driver that came with the card first, before trying newest one

chippey5

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Bought a new PSU, an EVGA Supernova G2, which didn't solve the problem either unfortunately... I will try reinstalling the factory drivers oncemore and return with the results. If it keeps happening, it's probably a defect GPU.

I successfully booted Linux by the way. I tried to stresstest the GPU and the monitor went to sleep halfway through it.

chippey5

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
I bougt a 750W EVGA Supernova G2 and reinstalled windows and installed factory drivers. After setting up the PC and installing a new game to try, the GPU stopped and the monitor went to sleep mode. I guess I'll have to do an RMA...

chippey5

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Issue resolved

The modular PSU EVGA Supernova G2 had a cable that was missing from the graphics card. As I suspected, the graphics card didn't receive enough power. It has 2 power slots, one 4x2 pin and one 3x2 pin. However, the GPU came with an adapter that made the 4x2-pin slot to two 3x2-pin slots for power. My previous GPU, the Asus GTX560 DirectCU 2 Top needed two 3x2-pin cables, so I thought it was enough. Just before I was about to return the GPU I gave another shot. Something told me to try the old GPU, where I had forgotten it needed two 3x2-pin adapters for it to work.

The funny thing is that my new GPU didn't need that to work at all. The reason why I didn't do it at first was because the instructions manual explained it in a bad way and since the PC started without both plugged in and not having other cables, I continued trying that way.

I call this issue resolved. For anyone encountering the same problem, check these steps:

Make sure your cables are plugged in and unbroken. Use a ESD tools to prevent zapping your GPU and an ESD wrist strap so that you are grounded. This ensures that the components won't get zapped. Check that you have the factory drivers installed and updated from there. It is recommended that you also remove old drivers for other GPU's before installing any drivers for your current one.

Good luck out there and thanks for the help!

Solution