Crossfire 270x Worth Upgrading to a 290x?

jdwxyz

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

XSlayerAssassinX

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014

You can probably sell both your cards on Ebay for like 130 or 140 each or something. And the 290x i'd get if i had to get one would be this.
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-M929P4G&c=CJ
That cards a beast. And is it worth? Hm.. single graphics card setups are a lot better, i'd rather have one powerful one then two weaker ones in crossfire. I'd go with a 970, though. The 290x is a hot card and requires a lot of power. Good luck!

Unless the system is causing problems or you're having to run at lower settings than you would like I'd stick with the CF setup.
Check out some reviews, if your system has a strong CPU it'll come close to matching the review results so you can get a rough idea as to how well your current system stacks up against a single R9 290X, assuming you can benchmark at least some of the games they use in their test suite.
Given that you're already running dual cards power isn't going to be a problem and a single R9 290X isn't going to produce as much heat either so the single card is a plus there and, of course you can say goodbye to the inevitable issues with a dual card setup.
Another plus for the R9 290X is its larger 4Gb memory, if you like the eye candy turned up that's going to be a big plus.
With decent cooling the R9 290X is a quite civilised card now, so don't be fooled into thinking they all run hot and loud, they don't and it's performance is very, very close to that of the GTX970.
If you DO decide to go single card, I'd consider the R9 290 Sapphire Tri-X and give it a dose of overclocking rather than going for the rather more expensive 'X' version.