Asus Strix GTX 970 stopped working on Maximus VII Hero M/B

lorddaveyjohno

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I have recently rebuilt my rig and that included a new Asus GTX 970 and a Maximus Hero VII motherboard. All was working fine until a couple of weeks ago, I installed the latest (then) GeForce drivers - 344.75 and after that my games were not happy.
I was mainly playing Batman Arkham City so this card and my new rig should be able to handle it easy. The game started playing really slow and I to tweak around with the anti-aliasing settings to get it work at least as good again.
But every now and then the game would crash, taking the system with it. After the last time the graphics card appears to now not work. These are the symptoms and what I have tried:
- When system boots there is no output to the monitors, they remain in standby mode, even though the system appears to boot fine, no error code on motherboard
- I plug one of my DVI cables into the onboard graphics and it boots to Windows and the display is working
- Windows cannot see the card and does not list any unknown hardware.
- In my M/B BIOS - version 2201 - it does not seem to even recognise the graphics card, I have tried forcing the system to use PCI-E graphics instead of auto but it automatically sets itself back, probably because it cannot recognise any graphics card. I also did a BIOS reset and reinstalled the latest version but to no avail.

What I am thinking is that the system crashing out was caused by a hardware fault with the card and now it has died a death. It may have been a coincidence that it happened around the time of the driver update but I cannot be sure.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with this card and driver combination?? Anyone got any ideas for actions I have not yet tried?

Thanks

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

try booting without the card in, with the system using the integrated graphics.