ASUS vg248qe no signal, dual monitors

opakz123

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Hi,

I only just today got an ASUS vg248qe 144hz monitor, but when I plugged the hdmi cable in and turned on the pc, the screen just said "hdmi no signal" and went dark again;

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 black edition
Mobo: GA-970A-UD3
GPU: AMD Radeon 7950
8GB ram
128gb ssd, 1tb hdd
Displays: Old Fujitsu Siemens 22', working fine using a vga->dvi adapter,
(brand new) ASUS VG248QE, plugged in with a brand new hdmi cable aswell,
The second monitor is not being detected whatsoever, i've both pulled out the power chord and reset the computer and pulled my ram and started + turned off the computer (found a solution elsewhere but didn't do the trick for me),

So, to clarify, i got the demo version of the screen from the store because it was sold out except for that one, and it was working in the store; therefore I doubt it is malfunctioning now; I'm just rather baffled as to how to continue from hereon.

The Fujitsu Siemens monitor is working as well as it has always, and it is the only screen i detect when, well, attempting to detect monitors.

Any help appreciated as to how to solve this, thanks in advance

Fredrik

Solution
This might very likely be an issue with the older HDMI standard on your GPU. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the HDMI output on the HD 7950 supports 120 or 144hz refresh rates on HDMI. You would need to use a dual link DVI output with an HDMI adapter, which won't carry sound, but that probably isn't a problem in most cases since it's a second monitor. The chances are good that you may need to either get a newer GPU, return the monitor and get a model that is 60 or 75hz refresh rate or use adapters for both monitors. You would need HDMI to VGA for the older monitor so you could use the DVI output with a DVI to HDMI adapter (Dual link only) for the 144hz monitor.

You might also be able to use a displayport to HDMI adapter to...
You need to right click on the desktop, select "screen resolution" or "display properties", and choose the other monitor by clicking on the image of the second monitor and then selecting either extend or duplicate the display in one of the drop boxes to enable it.

opakz123

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

Now, I might have been unclear but it did not work when I tried using only the new monitor, and it is not being detected as a connected device, so im not sure whether your idea is going to work...

This might very likely be an issue with the older HDMI standard on your GPU. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the HDMI output on the HD 7950 supports 120 or 144hz refresh rates on HDMI. You would need to use a dual link DVI output with an HDMI adapter, which won't carry sound, but that probably isn't a problem in most cases since it's a second monitor. The chances are good that you may need to either get a newer GPU, return the monitor and get a model that is 60 or 75hz refresh rate or use adapters for both monitors. You would need HDMI to VGA for the older monitor so you could use the DVI output with a DVI to HDMI adapter (Dual link only) for the 144hz monitor.

You might also be able to use a displayport to HDMI adapter to utilize the monitor, if YOUR GPU has a displayport adapter.

What is the brand and model number of your GPU?

Solution

opakz123

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

This is the one i've got
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4121#ov
Would I be able to use the displayport hub on the gpu and run 144hz or would that not work, as in would I need an active displayport which requires another power source/more power (not very informed on this topic), or does the normal displayport also not support 144hz? I've been googling around but haven't really found any clues. If I could utilize the displayport I wouldnt have to get two cables/adapters but only one as my current dvi adapters are only dvi-i for some reason, and not fitting into the dvi-d on the monitor.

As to "so you could use the DVI output with a DVI to HDMI adapter (Dual link only) for the 144hz monitor.", couldn't I just use the dvi-d on the display instead?
Appreciate your help.

opakz123

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

So I'm going to town to buy a dvi-d dual link cable aswell as either displayport or hdmi -> vga tomorrow, and I just want to make sure that you're positive as to the hdmi issue being the reason for it not getting any signal? Cause it would be kind of awkward having to buy two cables/adapters for no reason.
Thanks a lot for your time!

opakz123

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

Cool, I appreciate you've taken your time. I'll be going to town tomorrow like I said, and I'll post here as to whether it works or not, for others that might encounter the same problem. Cheers