Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, no post, no display

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
A few months ago I built my first PC, yet over the last couple of weeks I've not run into problems. This is mainly that the computer won't display when turned on.

Parts:
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: GTS 450/ Sapphire R9 280
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 Tb
PSU: Corsair CX750
Case: NZXT Phantom

Now the PC does boot, and all the CPU, GPU, case fans are running and the Mobo light turns on and is green.

I've made sure both the 24pin and 4pin connector are both properly in (if the 4pin isn't in the PC won't turn off)

I've tried using different graphics cards, GTS 450 vs Sapphire R9 280, and this has not solved the problem. As I thought it could be a PSU failure and hopefully the GTS 450 uses less power.

I have tried booting the computer with both one and two sticks of RAM in.

I've also gotten a mobo speaker and have just tried that, but have had no beeps or anything when the computer has been turned on.

What has been the most confusing part is that this build with a H55 cooler and R9 280 in worked perfectly for a good 2 months before starting to encounter problems, not displaying when turned on, this was usually solved by turning the PC off and on again. This problem happened irregularly for a week (only turned on 3-4times) until the PC stopped displaying all together.

At this stage I'm now a bit lost and confused as to what the problem could be and how to solve it, so any advice would be great.

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Just tried it, I got 1 long and 2 short. Looking at the manual that means the no RAM was detected. Shall I add that in next?

Also how come the speaker works now, but not when the GPU and Ram where plugged in? (does that mean there was actually no hardware problem, hence no beeps?)

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Done that, again no beep codes. I've also tried putting the GPU in the PCI-8 slot and have taken the mobo out and started just the CPU/Mobo/one ram and GPU outside of the case, and still nothing

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Done that, no bent pins, Double checked the mobo for any scratches as well and there was nothing. At this stage I'm just thinking of getting a new mobo, and hoping it was a problem with that

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I've done all of those. I don't think the problem is the PSU due to the computer working perfectly up until a few weeks ago, do you think it's worth testing anyway?

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
The last 4 digits are 1302.

Cheers for the link, reading through the comments I found this
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems#10275417

"If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM."

If a new stick of Ram doesn't work, does this mean the PSU is for all intent and purposes gone/ can't supply the components with enough power?

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
All about the asus one, I've edited my original post for clarity.
Again the CPU should be supported. Where are you checking to see which mobo supports which CPU?

I see. Hard to say what's wrong. It could be power supply, motherboard, CPU. Interesting though that it beeps without RAMs, so board and CPU do work at a certain level. Issues start when adding RAMs. Since you've tested different RAMs, it's board or CPU.
Not sure about the power supply, but if possible, try testing different one,
I guess that a local PC shop might better help.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

watercraker

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Getting another PSU would be quite a pain. I have a multimeter would it be possible to use that to check the PSU and make sure it's supplying enough power.

What I'm still confused by is, why doesn't the pc beep after the ram in installed but no GPU, or is only the built in gpu on a mobo considered when POST are run?