PC not booting with new GPU (XFX R9 290x 2gb)

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Got a new card (XFX R9 270x 2gb) and a new PSU (630w) which can go up to 730w. When I try to use this card my computer boots for a split, maybe one second, the fans just begin to start spinning, then shuts off completely. When the computer shuts off, my motherboard (EVGA 122-ck-nf68-a1) has an solid orange light that comes on. At this point I can't power on even for that split second again, I have to switch the PSU off and on to get the computer to boot for that split second. I tried using another rig with an older mobo and weaker PSU(550w), same thing happens only I get a squeal of power and no fans spinning. Some of my thoughts on what might be happening. The same thing was happening with my older PSU (600w) as well, which is the least likely issue. I also thought it might also be the amount of power coming through the pcie slot might be insufficient, looked into EVGA power boost. What else might be causing this?

Notes: PC boots fine with XFX HD 5770 1gb. And the other rig with its (gtx 260 896mb). The other rig that I tried the card in has this motherboard: ASRock A780FullDisplayPort. The HD 5770 worked fine with my 600w PSU as well.

not to say its your issue and just a guess from what I see is a lot of these newer card are having a hard time working with older chipsets - don't know if its the bios support or just something with the boards in general ?? make sure you oot the latest bios's .. things anit as plug and play anymore .. even guys with newer boards have to get bios updates to get theses cards to work if offered ... [opinion]

may want to do some research on that and see ??

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Tried to do a bios update on the motherboard with the update they have on their site. I burned the .iso file to a cd and went into the mobos boot, couldn't enter anything in the "file to program" portion and "please wait" kept blinking at the bottom.

Thank you for the help though.

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

My CPU and motherboard do not have any integrated graphics.

sorry man I see that is a NVidia chipset 680i - well don't know what else to say but I guess its just like the guys with older chipsets and cant get the cards to work the ones I see the most are the z68 ..

maybe getting down to if you don't have the latest and greatest they don't care if it works or not and if you don't then you need to buy more stuff to make it ???

heres a guy with a 290 I was with
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2444792/gpu-freezing-upgrade.html

older stuff with newer card ???

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Yeah, I think I am gong to buy a floppy drive and try to update bios. Tried alot of combinations with a DVD and flash drive to update but couldn't. If that doesn't work I'll look into getting a new mobo.

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

It seems like most people who update their bios successfully used the floppy drive method, and I tried using the pendrive to update but got an error a couple second in, same thing with a dvd.

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

I know, I don't really have money for a new board and want to find a way to make it work on my current one.

don't know - they got this stuff where its all about money and I think its easier for you to buy new then it is for them to support old and with the uefi bios's now they can dictate what they feel thing will work or not -- I would not be surprised if one day if you but a MSI board you will have to use MSI branded parts or parts that pay msi a fee to be supported on them or it just wount work ..

theres guys with newer more up to date boards that cant get the cards to work with out a bios update that mite support them as it is now .. I gopt a z87 board and I see all this and wonder if my latest bios is enough for newer cards if or when I decide to change it out??

all I can say is search the forums for a board like yours and the card to see what they did -- these forums here are full of the cards not working..

looks like if you plan on a hot new today card you better have a board that's 2 years or newer [???]

look at these guys with newer cards on the z68 chipset

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2432814/z68-extreme3-gen3-recognizing-290-gpu.html

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Successfully flashed my (EVGA 122-CK-NF68) bios finally. Turned out you must rename the NF68_P33.iso file to NF68.iso. Then burn the file to a cd or dvd, or use a usb mounting software to create a bootable usb with the file.I used YUMI multiboot usb for windows. Select the flash drive, select the format box and under select distribution method go to the very bottom of the drop down list and select "grub from ram". Then select the renamed iso file of the bios update, then click create. Then put the flashdrive in the computer you want to flash and make the flash drive be the first boot device, boot from the flash drive. Once you boot into the flash drive, you will see the YUMI flashing utility, select the flash drive, and then after selecting the correct drive it will automatically load up the file and then go into the DOS screen, then press Y to start flashing. When it finishes press F1 to restart the computer, when the computer restarts change the boot priority again in the delete menu to your hard drive.

But the R9 270x still is not letting the computer to power on. Final assumption: the motherboard is outdated, or the card is faulty and I will attempt to RMA it.

well that's sad , but that's the way things are looking these days it wount be long or its here now that a what use to be a simple plug and play part like a gpu is now going to be like a CPU .. and boards will have to have a supported GPU list on what will work on them I guess..

GraphicsJunkie

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Sorry for such a late Answer.

The GPU (R9 270X) was indeed faulty. I RMA'd the card, received a new one thanks to XFX, the new cards runs like a dream, which it was for a while.