No Monitor Signal With Samsung 4k Monitor. Gtx 770 problem?

Cantasaurus

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to pcs in general as I got my first gaming pc last Christmas as a surprise and I absolutely loved it. Well my family apparently released this so I was surprised this year with a Samsung 4k monitor (U28D590D.) I have a Gtx 770 so I know I probably won't be running anything in 4k, I'm planning on getting a 970 soon, but I originally had an Asus VG248QE monitor and had it hooked up through a Dvi cable so to my surprise when I saw the monitor it doesn't have a slot for one but rather it has 2 hdmi ports and a display port. I truthfully don't know how graphics cards work in the slightest but I'm fairly certain the 770 has an hdmi port, so I hook it up with the hdmi that comes in the box and theirs no signal. So I try the other 40 hdmi cords I have and none of them work either. Theirs also no display port on the back of my computer as well so that's kind of odd. Could it be a problem with my 770 or the monitor? I didn't build my pc if that helps in any way, it was ordered on Cyberpowerpc.

Solution
Well I feel stupid now haha. That's what they were covering, they were literally jammed in there so I didn't want to pull them out but that's what they needed I guess. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/13/review-samsungs-u28d590d-28-inch-4k-monitor-finally-brings-4k-at-an-affordable-price/

Which brand GTX770 do you have? It's hard to believe it doesn't have a displayport. You'll need it if you want 4k @ 60Hz. HDMI 1.4 can do 4k but at 30Hz, wont be good for anything fast action.

Displayport v1.2 can do 4k @ 60Hz. Your monitor has HDMI v1.4 and your GTX770 also HDMI v1.4. HDMI is backwards compatible but if you want higher than 1080p resolution, must have an HDMI cable v1.4 or higher.

Don't think its the cable, i believe the monitor just needs to be selected to the right input source;

Manual:
Change the input source to HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 controlling the JOG button UP/DOWN, when input source is not set.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like you only have two DVI ports. Ignore the HDMI at the top under the two blue usb slots, that's not even part of your graphics card, that's onboard graphics.

Down the bottom with the twin DVI ports (thats your 770), there's a few grey plastic coverings, are they covering anything? Im hoping they're HDMI and Displayports.

Cantasaurus

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Well I feel stupid now haha. That's what they were covering, they were literally jammed in there so I didn't want to pull them out but that's what they needed I guess. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
haha no problem :)

So guessing you have a DP there and HDMI?

Just bit of info for you, the bottom DVI port of your 770 is Dual Link, so if you didn't have an actual Displayport, you can use a DVI to Displayport adapter or all in one cable to work with higher resolution monitors.

DVI-info-callout001-im.jpg

startech-mdp2dvimm6_extra1.jpg

If you upgrade to a GTX970, it should have all 3 connections being DVI, HDMI and Displayport.