Need new cpu/mobo?

Ricksmiley

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
So i have been looking around for hours and hours trying to figure out what I need to do. I have a 3 year old system that is no longer keeping up with the next gen games. Its just an old gateway with an i5 quad core 3.0 ghz cpu. An I5 2320 to be exact. Im a few generations behind there. The MoBo is gateway dx4860 with a h67 express chipset. So no overclocking allowed with that mobo. I have uprgraded the power supply to an 850 watter. Just last week changed out the gpu to a Nvidia geforce gtx 760. The system is mainly used for gaming and movies. I looked towards a intel core i7-4790-k with an asus maximus VII hero mobo.But I'm thinking that is a little more than I want to spend since I will have to buy a decent cpu cooler and I think a new Operating system once I change out my mother board. I could have read that wrong though. Oh And I have 8gb of i believe ddr3 ram. I have never built a computer from scratch. Just tinkered and upgraded here and there. I know there are a ton of you out there that know much more than I do and maybe some of you will have some advice. I guess 1 important thing I have left out is price range. Im looking to spend between $300 and $500. Yes i want something I can overclock if I need to. Either now or down the road as games advance. And now I'll stop rambling. Hope to hear from some of you soon. Thanks, Rick

Ricksmiley

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Was mainly just thinking the I7 for future games and programs. The I5 4690k does look nice tho. Any idea of what will be needed for cooling for something like that? Just fans? When does someone start going to watercooled?

Ricksmiley

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Also will I need to reinstall windows? my computer came preloaded with windows so I dont have the disks. So I would probably have to go buy a new Operating system... Or is there a way i can burn my windows onto a dvdr and just reinstall it once i do the switch over?