laptop HDD partitioning (dual-boot Win7 / Linux system)

pedrooo

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Hello. I bought a new HDD for my laptop to speed it up a little. I've had a 320GB 5400rpm for several years and now the laptop is annoyingly slow, I knew nothing about HDD partitioning and all this stuff back then and so I only had C drive for OS and all data.

Now I bought a 7200rpm 750GB drive and I would like to ask you for some advice regarding partitioning. I'm planning to use Win7 as well as Linux (either Ubuntu or Mint) on it as a dual-boot. This is my first time I'm thinking about partitioning a HDD like this so I thought it would be better to ask before I attempt to do it.

This is only an idea and I don't know if it's effective and worth it to do it this way. I'm thinking about making 5 partitions:
1. Win7 OS partition - only OS installation on this one
2. Win7 apps and programs partition - program files folder and all this stuff
3. Win7 data partition - all the other stuff (movies, games etc.)
4. Linux OS partition - only OS installation
5. Linux /home folder - I'm going to be using Linux only for programming and nothing else

Will this work and is it effective to partition a brand new HDD like this? Is it worth to separate Win7 OS and program files folder as well as Linux OS and /home folder in separate partitions? Also, How much space should I use for partitions 1, 2, 4, 5? Thanks for your time.

iceblitzed

Distinguished
really I think the three windows partitions are unnecessary. However partitioning Linux is worth it. I would recommend you get Linux mint over Ubuntu imo

for Linux partiioning the OS partition (aka root partition) /home partition and swap area

for the swap area use 1.5x the amount of ram memory you have

for the iinux OS partition I would use at least 20 GB

for the /home partition use at least 10gb

pedrooo

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Thanks mate! I didn't know about the swap partition before.. However, could you provide any reasons why separating windows OS and apps/programs isn't beneficial? It seems to me it could be worth it you know, not touching partition where OS is installed at all. But I'm a newbie when it comes to this, so I'd like to get the biggest amount of info I could.