I have a 144Hz monitor but only getting 60Hz.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Currently have. Philips 242G 144Hz Gaming Monitor.
(http://www.amazon.com/Philips-242G5DJEB-Extreme-Performance-Professional/dp/B00G6IWEE0)
and running a brand new XFX Radeon R9 270X gpu.
(http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-radeon-r9-270x-2gb-ddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/2091002.p?id=1219068840893&skuId=2091002).

So my problem is that the monitor should be displaying a refresh rate of 144Hz, but I only have the option of 60Hz, when doing
Right click>screen res>Adv. Settings> and monitor. So I have tried a lot of things. I updated all my drivers, tried using DVI Dual port cord, and a VGA cord. But i'm still not getting the 144Hz. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Solution
If it looks like DVI, it's DVI. Don't pay any attention to what the stamping or printing says. VGA looks NOTHING like DVI. That says VGA as that is the port they want you to use if you use a DVI to VGA adapter to power a monitor that doesn't have a DVI, HDMI or Displayport input on it.

The units spec page clearly states that it has one single link DVI port and one dual link DVI port as follows, but it doesn't indicate which is which, so just try the other port. DL = Dual link SL = Single link

Output - DL-DVI-I : 1

Output - HDMI : 1

Output - mini DP : 2

Output - SL-DVI-D : 1

Also make sure your resolution is not set higher than 1080 because your card specs indicate it's only capable of 60hz per monitor above 1080p.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I just did that, but why is it going to change the resolution to (1440x990) and it only gives option for 120Hz. my mother res is (1980x1080). I don't understand why it would show it in the driver but not under the first way I did it..
Well do you think the Hz will change because when I play FPS games(csgo) I change the res to like (1024x768) or lower do you think the refresh rate will change as well even if I dont do it manually?

Also reported max refresh rate is 120Hz.(but I don't think that's accurate because if I go to monitor attributes I can change it to 200Hz and it will say that will be the Maximum refresh rate. But that's only if I don't use "Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) or driver defaults" and change it.

You can only get 144hz using DVI dual link or displayport at 1920x1080. You need to make sure the DVI or DVD cable you are using is actually dual link, having ALL of the pins that match the output socket on both your GPU and monitor. If your DVI cable only has some of the main pins (The four pins around the flat blade pin don't matter, they're for analog signals) then it won't be dual link.

Try a different cable. It may be there are issues with that cable like a broken wire inside the cable. The display can still work without all the connections but it won't be a dual link connection.

Bad DDC line in your DVI cable? Try a different Dual-Link DVI cable, see what happens.

Try running Entech Taiwan's softMCCS. If it comes up blank, that's your problem (missing DDC). The DDC signalling from your monitor tells your computer what refresh rates it supports.

I'd also try the OTHER DVI port on the card. It might be that there is an issue or lack of 144hz support on that port you're currently using. Also, make sure there are no bent pins on either end of the cable.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I used a DVI-D DualLink cable and still nothing. I haven't tried a displayport yet. Also i'm not sure how to set up that driver. But i'm 100% certain that my pc has recognized it.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Okay all pins are in and nothing, tomorrow i'm going to try my friends cable which I know for a fact works. Also for trying it on another DVI port, the thing is There is another port that looks like a DVI port but says its VGA.

Also what do you mean by DDC and how can I fix that? if it is missing I haven't checked yet.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check your monitor driver to be sure. Screen Resolution\Advanced Settings\Monitor\ Does it say Generic PnP Monitor?

If it is, click Properties\Driver\Update driver\Manual search to where you extracted your driver download. It should detect and install the driver for your monitor. Restart system if need.

If it looks like DVI, it's DVI. Don't pay any attention to what the stamping or printing says. VGA looks NOTHING like DVI. That says VGA as that is the port they want you to use if you use a DVI to VGA adapter to power a monitor that doesn't have a DVI, HDMI or Displayport input on it.

The units spec page clearly states that it has one single link DVI port and one dual link DVI port as follows, but it doesn't indicate which is which, so just try the other port. DL = Dual link SL = Single link

Output - DL-DVI-I : 1

Output - HDMI : 1

Output - mini DP : 2

Output - SL-DVI-D : 1

Also make sure your resolution is not set higher than 1080 because your card specs indicate it's only capable of 60hz per monitor above 1080p.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
DVIQA.jpg

Your cable should look like the DVI-D or DVI-I, -I being it does both digital and analog and both will do 120/144hz if the cable meets the specifications. I've seen a lot of posts regarding DVI DualLink cables not meeting requirments, albeit Displayport always works.

VGA is this, is that what you mean?
images

He doesn't have a vga output on that card. It only has two DVI outputs, an HDMI output and two mini-displayport outputs. Note to OP: If at any point you plan to use the displayport outputs, you'll need to remember that you have mini-displayport outputs and not full size ones. That will require you to use adapter cables or adapters if you try to connect either of those ports to a monitor with full size displayport inputs.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Okay I just did that and my driver is up to date.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Ya it says VGA but ya I would need to use an adapter for that which I have. But ya it is defiantly a DVI DualLink I'll try to plug that it into that one right now.

That's all basically NOTHING. Windows native drivers are not usually capable of driving the full capabilities of most GPUs. You need the correct drivers, found here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Yes that's fair, just checking. He might be too young to know what VGA looks like :D

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
IT WORKED!!!!!!! All I had to do was change the port on the GPU! man that was such a pain and such an easy fix. I feel stupid to say the least. Thank you everyone who helped me! :)

That's not even a joke. I was at Walmart the other day asking about a DVI to VGA or HDMI to VGA or anything to VGA adapter and NONE of the employees in the electronics department had any god#$% clue what I was talking about until I showed them what one was on, of all things, an extension cable, which was pretty much the only VGA related item sold in the entire store. Unbelievable. How do these people get hired into these jobs and is it any wonder our entire workforce is comprised of idiots.

pendre341

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I know the difference between a VGA and DVI and all those cords. I just wasn't sure why it was labeled as VGA. and do you think that means that my other DVI port may be damaged? Also everything is so much smoother now.

TRENDING THREADS