I bought a 4k TV, graphics card doesn't support 4k what should I use???

Ramzii

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I just bought myself a Seiki 39" 4k tv and was planning on using that as my primary monitor. But after trying for several hours I figured out that my video card isn't good enough... Could someone tell me a graphics card that is compatible with my computer and that can run 4k.

Thank you very much,

Here are the specs.
Model - Asus Desktop PC CM6870 Series (Older Model i think 2011/2012)
Ram - 12GB
System Type - 64 bit
Processor - Intel Core i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
Power Supply - ?? (Couldnt find it)

Solution
you dont need a 400w power supply. the gtx750 theoretically could draw up to 75w. it wont come close to that because 75 watts is the limit that the pcie16x slot can feed a component. in reality if you stress test the gtx750 with a program, its will probably peak somewhere around 65w. your i5-3450 has a tdp of 84 watts. those are the only high wattage draws on your system. a quick good search shows you have a 300 watt power supply. you dont need a 400w power supply.... you will be more than fine. and your system is still relatively powerful with that intel ivy bridge quad core, and you definitely have a pcie16x slot.

toddybody

Distinguished

As other poster said, youll only get 30hz at 4K with that display...regardless of the graphics card you use.

On a larger topic, you'll want a much more powerful card if you want to play at said 30fps@4K. I'd recommend an r9 280x or higher.

Ramzii

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I am not really a gamer, I only use my computer for consuming media and basic office programs. Do you think it would still be an issue?

toddybody

Distinguished

For those needs, youre fine with a GTX 750

Ramzii

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I know that you need to have a PCi-E slot and 400W+ Power supply to use this card but I dont know if my computer those requirements, do you have any idea? Thanks..

you dont need a 400w power supply. the gtx750 theoretically could draw up to 75w. it wont come close to that because 75 watts is the limit that the pcie16x slot can feed a component. in reality if you stress test the gtx750 with a program, its will probably peak somewhere around 65w. your i5-3450 has a tdp of 84 watts. those are the only high wattage draws on your system. a quick good search shows you have a 300 watt power supply. you dont need a 400w power supply.... you will be more than fine. and your system is still relatively powerful with that intel ivy bridge quad core, and you definitely have a pcie16x slot.

Solution