Second display going black

Signa

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Hello,

I use two monitors, one running dual link dvi and 1 running hdmi. I was playing some DA3 and had a graphic driver crash, it happens. When my pc rebooted I noticed that I only had no displays working. So I said huh, Unplugged the HDMI connection and it the display on my main dvi popped right up. I then tried plugging the HDMI back in to see if it was just something weird, to no luck I only had 1 monitor active still. Strangely enough the monitor does appear in the nvidia control center. But I cannot select it or anything. So I am stumped on what the issue could be, since it is clearly not the ports monitor or video card as far as I can tell.

A few other things I tried to do.

Boot with just the HDMI in. It shows me my boot menu and the windows load screen perfectly fine untill I hit the desktop at which point it goes black.
A DVI cable in the second monitor instead of a hdmi, could get it to show the desktop, but not two monitors at once.

I use a 970 starix for a video card. And have had no other problems since I have gotten it other then this. I also use the 347.09 driver "most recent"

~One other thing I forgot to mention is that if I reboot with both cables plugged in it comes back on with the DVI montior at 800*600 resolution insted of the 1920*1080 it should be, and then If I unplug the HDMI cable it goes back to 1920*1080

Thanks

Solution
One solution would be to uninstall the NVidia drivers from the computer, then reinstall (make sure it performs a clean install - this wipes out the settings).

Signa

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Reset bios, made sure it was pcie. Still did not work.

Tried a vga cable and was able to get both monitors running at the same time, Just confused as to why HDMI/VGA do not work.

Signa

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I just tried going HDMI to my TV and it worked just fine so I do not think that is it.

-- and my cable box and go to my monitors so that aint it either.

Signa

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Maybe I was confused on your previous question then. I can get the gpu to display 3 things at once.
Monitor 1 : DVI
Monitor 2: DVI
TV: HDMI

Although no matter what I do monitor 2 will not display HDMI from the gpu, it can from other things though.

Can you bring up the settings for the monitor when you are connected VIA HDMI? I am wondering if it is trying to display in a format that is beyond the capability of the monitor, and that is why it turns off. When you connect the TV, it works because it is detecting another monitor type. Other things work because they are probably sending standard HD signal to the monitor.

It is only guess work....but I bet your game somehow changed the resolution to the monitor (hdmi port to your monitor) - it could have been a weird communication error thing (i.e. the information was written incorrectly when the computer froze)....who knows....but when you did the clean install, it wiped the configuration file, and installing the driver created it.