Why are 4 year old graphic cards still selling for $50 on eBay?

yangyang

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
I have an old GTX 550 Ti that I'll be retiring to my HTPC setup. Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay to see how much it was worth. Imagine my surprise when I found that it was selling for upwards of $50! This graphics card is more than 4 years old and people are still actively purchasing it, why? 4 years is like a decade when it comes to computer components. My 4 year old computer still uses DDR2 memory lol.
I remember the graphics card was purchased for $150. I'm glad but also perplexed to see it's still worth 1/3 as much. Does anyone know why people are still bidding for the outdated GTX 550 Ti?

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
People want cheep GPUs and honesty there hasn't been huge gains in CPU and GPU tech the last 3-4 years not like there used to be 10% a year is about average for the last few gens its been mainly energy efficiency gaibs

yangyang

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014

$50 for a 4 year old GPU is not cheap. I expected the price to be around $20 or so. Just enough to pay for shipping to get the old GTX 550s into someone else's hand. What are people doing with the graphics cards they buy? People don't have systems that need to be "upgraded" to the GTX 550 do they?

The highest priced that I can actually find with any bids is $41. All the "upwards of $50" ones are buy now or have no bids. Don't confuse what some people ask for goods with what people actually pay.