New PC build. Closed Loop cooling question.

BigRed84

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I recently acquired all the components I wanted for a new gaming rig. I've never built my own computer before. Likewise, I've never dealt with liquid cooling and know little about it. My question is, with a new build that has never booted up/had an OS install etc...how do I check that the water cooling system is working properly before I run it? From what I can tell, there is little to no sound of the pump system so the only moving parts would be the radiator fans, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is water flowing.

It was made known to me that CPU's are capable of burning up within less than a minute of time running without any kind of cooling and that is my worry. I would hate to power it up for the first time to bring up the PC and before I even have time to load the OS, the CPU is burning up from a failed pump that I couldn't tell just by sound.

The associated parts I'm referring to are:
Corsair H100i
i7 4790k

If there is any other components or information needed to help address my concern, please let me know. I'm new here so I am not entirely sure on form and function of addressing issues.

plaintuts

Admirable
No need to worry too much

If the cpu cooler is defective then the cpu temps will rise drastically, causing the cpu to not post or simply work.

Cpu gets damaged by prolonged high temps not by just mere minutes

If the computer doesn't post within a 10 minutes then something is wrong

BigRed84

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
So, proper first start up would just be to let the bios load through their sequence and then attempt to load my OS? Assuming that if I make it that far then more than likely the CPU and cooler are working together fine? Thank you for your response as well.

plaintuts

Admirable
Yeah, load up bios then check if all components are detected then, check temps reading in the bios to assure yourself that the cooler is working

The cpu is idle while in bios, temps should be below 40 degrees

BigRed84

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Is there a CPU temps command prompt to read in bios or does the information populate naturally during startup?