Getting horizontal waves when playing games.

enmity

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I've been getting these Horizontal waves when I play games such as CSGO and Vindictus. I recently upgraded my GFX to ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC, and my monitor is BenQ G2412HD with a 60 Hz refresh rate.

I have already turned on both V-sync and triple buffering and even the adaptive setting in my Nvidia Control Panel. Also tried to use the V-sync settings via the games' options.

I use a VGA cable for my monitor and an adapter because my monitor's VGA cable has 15-pins and my GFX card has 24 + 5 pins.

Could this be because of the adapter that I'm forced to use? Or could this be because the refresh rate on my monitor is too low?

Solution
The monitor could also be a factor, whats happening is probably screen tearing

The monitor is unable to refresh properly to sync with the Gpu output

enmity

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I was thinking of purchasing a http:// anyways, but I guess I can purchase DVI-D cables and use dual monitors.

What happens if I am still receiving these horizontal waves? Could it be possible that it is my GFX card at fault here? The temperature of the card is not very high when I'm playing games either.

I'm guessing it could be because my card is too powerful for the VGA cord plus adapter, or maybe my monitor is too crappy.

enmity

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I don't think it is exactly like screen tearing, though. Well, at least not like the ones I found on Google images. There are just waves on my screen, albeit it is not all TOO horrible.

I tried to hook up my monitor with a very old HDMI cable, but I was unable to receive a display. Maybe they aren't compatible.

I'll just go buy some brand new DVI-D and HDMI cables on Tuesday and see how that goes. I've seen some responses in some other threads where someone fixed a problem similar to mine(as far as I can tell by just reading text) by switching there adapter and just buying a full-on M/M DVI cable.

I'll be sure to update this thread for others to see if I do indeed fix it. Thanks.

enmity

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I bought a new BenQ XL211Z 144Hz 1ms response time monitor today, but I also switched to DVI-D. So, either one of these fixed it, but I'm fairly a higher refresh rate was needed as well.

Thanks.