I thought that 144hz was the way forward. ..... iiyama GB2488HSU-B1 144hz 24inch

NeymarX

Honorable
Dec 29, 2014
im so mad.

bought this monitor after reading many reviews of "once you have gone 144hz ...you will never go back" trollocks...and "iiyama have done it again with this beauty".... :(

i5 and a 780ti later and this monitor is not that good. not sure if there is a setting I need to change but it seems slightly fuzzy and very bland. brightness is on 80 to start with so I reduce it to 50 which is better but not £230 better.

not many videos on youtube showing how to apply certain settings.
can anyone help .

thanks

Solution
Can you try a dual-link DVI cable? Looking at your monitor's marketing information I noticed this: "For 144fps game-play it is required to have a graphic card that supports dual link 144Hz DVI."

But regardless, you didn't really describe a problem with the refresh rate - it sounds more like you need to fiddle with the monitor's color and other settings or maybe return it and maybe get something else.

larkspur

Distinguished
I'm not familiar with that exact monitor but are you sure you are using a dual-link DVI? Also, they mention "When very fast graphics are displayed your monitor can sometimes get blurry. Turning on the OverDrive feature will eliminate that." Worth a try I guess : )

144hz has nothing to do with color accuracy, clarity or contrast. That depends on the monitor type, generally TN or IPS panels. The refresh rate, 144hz, does affect visual smoothness though, especially for fast motion. Are you sure you have the most recent GPU drivers installed, have the color profile dialed in correctly and are actually AT 144hz? For 144hz you must be using dual link (Single link won't get it) DVI or displayport 1.3 for 144hz at 1080p or higher resolution. You can run GPU-Z to find your actual settings, desktop display properties advanced settings or another third party utility.

NeymarX

Honorable
Dec 29, 2014
thanks for the replys guys. I am using a display port cable that came with the monitor. no way of telling if its 1.3 though as its just black. I have got it set to 144hertz and also 32 bit colours. I will try gpu z to see if that helps. thanks

NeymarX

Honorable
Dec 29, 2014
511078d3126da3ec3b5a74a1124edd91.png

anyway to see if I have display port 1.3 ?

larkspur

Distinguished
Can you try a dual-link DVI cable? Looking at your monitor's marketing information I noticed this: "For 144fps game-play it is required to have a graphic card that supports dual link 144Hz DVI."

But regardless, you didn't really describe a problem with the refresh rate - it sounds more like you need to fiddle with the monitor's color and other settings or maybe return it and maybe get something else.

Solution

NeymarX

Honorable
Dec 29, 2014
my wife is telling me that I have ocd and the screen "looks fine to her" .... :) . im using the dual dvi cable now. kinda the same but minus any sound . thanks for your help , sounds like I just need to play around with the settings like u said.

If it looks fuzzy, that sounds like scaling issues, or possibly the DP to dual link DVI-D converter not being very good. As larkspur mentioned, just use a Dual Link DVI-D cable, if that is what the monitor requires. Many converters are poor and do not fully support what they are converting too.

NeymarX

Honorable
Dec 29, 2014

omfg ye tell me about it!! ha