Your question

Best CPU program and cooler for ~£30

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 11:37:26 AM

I have an Intel i5 3570k which I may overclock at some point, and was wondering what the best CPU air cooler was for around £30-35. At the moment I am using the stock Intel heatsink/fan which obviously isn't the best option. I am getting mixed reviews about the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, is this the best option?
Also, is Speedfan the most accurate program that can also change fan speeds?
Sorry, didnt know what forum to put this in, thanks in advance!

More about : cpu program cooler

a c 283 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 1:31:58 PM

For that price, the 212 Evo is the best option, yes, and it's a great cooler that I own personally (with an extra fan for a push/pull configuration). You won't find anything that cools any better for that price.

I think the reason it may get mixed reviews for a 3570K specifically is that, as I'm sure you know, Ivy Bridge CPU's run very warm when OC'd, and a 212 Evo will only get you to ~4.3Ghz or so on the 3570K. I'm at 4.5 on my 2500K, and I could go further because the temps are excellent, but Ivy Bridge is unfortunately a different beast.

As far as temp monitoring programs go, DON'T use SpeedFan. It's almost always inaccurate with current gen Intel CPU's. I recommend HWMonitor, Core Temp or RealTemp.

And to control fan speeds, since a 212 Evo has a 4 pin PWM fan, you should be able to control it with software provided with your motherboard (and in the BIOS, as well).
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 1:58:26 PM

Thank you very much, I'll go for that. One last thing; I have a gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard but on the manufacturers website I can't seem to find any software that would control the fan speed, I am looking on the product page, not Gigabyte's website in general. I don't really want to have to go into the BIOS every time I want to change fan speeds...
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 2:07:03 PM

I think fan control is part of Easy Tune6 (first thing listed in the Utilities section of the Downloads http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... ).

Regardless, you wouldn't have to go to the BIOS every time to change the fan speed because (since it's a 4 pin PWM fan) it's all automatic based on CPU temp. You set it once to a fan curve you like and leave it. Completely automatic after that.
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 2:24:15 PM

From what I can see on ET6 it isn't, but I am still using the stock fan/heatsink.
So in the BIOS do I literally just set it to what I want and then it would slightly change it according to temperature automatically?
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 2:35:22 PM

Sorry ignore that just realised what you meant, thanks very much again!
a c 283 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 2:38:32 PM

Edit: Cool, just let me know if you need anymore help with it. And you're welcome. :) 
!