How do rebates work?

AllMightySean

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I was going to buy a product off of newegg.ca (this product specifically HERE but I noticed that I could get a $30 discount with a rebate. So, can anyone tell me how I can do this?
What is a rebate?
Do I buy the card first and then mail in some rebate card thing in an envelope or do I mail it in first then buy it?
Also it says "Receive a $30 prepaid card by mail from MSI! Expires on 12/31/14. Limit 1 per household" Does that mean that the card expires on 12/31/14" (ie tomorrow) or that I have to mail in the rebate by that day, or I have to buy the product on that day?

Solution
A rebate generally means you purchase an item, mail in very specific documents to prove the purchase, and in eight to fourteen weeks, they'll send you a check (or in this case, a pre-paid card) for a certain amount. In your case, the Expires 12/31/14 means the rebate offer ends on the 31st. As long as you can provide proof of purchase prior to the expiration date of the rebate offer, you should still qualify for the rebate.

-Wolf sends

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
There should be a link to the rebate documentation on the Seller's website, read it. You can also check the rebate form for information, keep in mind that some of these rebates are really picky so you only have a good chance of getting your rebate and not a 100% chance unless it's a good company.

Wolfshadw

Titan
A rebate generally means you purchase an item, mail in very specific documents to prove the purchase, and in eight to fourteen weeks, they'll send you a check (or in this case, a pre-paid card) for a certain amount. In your case, the Expires 12/31/14 means the rebate offer ends on the 31st. As long as you can provide proof of purchase prior to the expiration date of the rebate offer, you should still qualify for the rebate.

-Wolf sends

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Probably means you have to buy it by the 31st. But go read, in detail, all the text. It will tell you exactly what the terms are.

AllMightySean

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Ok, that answered most of my questions but now im a little bit unsure about a part in the terms and conditions saying "Use of fictitious names, multiple addresses and PO Boxes to obtain additional rebates may constitute fraud, violate federal or provincial laws and may result in prosecution, imprisonment and/or fines, including under the Criminal Code R.S.C. 1985 Cc-45 as amended." I was going to use my PO box to receive the gift card, not to get additional rebates of course. Are PO boxes not prohibited then?

USAFRet

Titan

"PO boxes" there mean 'multiple PO boxes'.
You can't get more than one per purchase.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Terms and conditions of the rebate will clearly state whether or not PO Boxes are authorized for use. What you quoted above is merely a warning which states you cannot use a PO Box to garner additional rebates as an act to commit fraud. Since you're not committing fraud, you have nothing to worry about.

-Wolf sends