Moderators Editing Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there a valid reasons for moderators to edit posts (removing Spam or eMail addresses, for example), but is "incorrect answer" really one of them? That seems like the start of a very slippery slope to me. (I'm old school and don't believe that mods necessarily know everything.)

Here is the thread in question: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2453622/setting-raid-raid-backup-ground.html#14936546

Personally, if a mod disagrees with someone else's answer I think they should leave the post but add a reply explaining why they think it is wrong. Express opinions by all means, but don't suppress them.

Solution
Agreed. Not to mention the boomerang effect... if they start down that path, people will begin to assume all posts are vetted and corrected by moderators, such that there no more "incorrect" answers out there. If they think they can catch them all, they're underpaid :D Best just to post a reply pointing out the error and the PURPORTEDLY correct answer. And yes, ego comes into play, too.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Agreed. Not to mention the boomerang effect... if they start down that path, people will begin to assume all posts are vetted and corrected by moderators, such that there no more "incorrect" answers out there. If they think they can catch them all, they're underpaid :D Best just to post a reply pointing out the error and the PURPORTEDLY correct answer. And yes, ego comes into play, too.

Solution

popatim

Titan
This was me and I have noted this for future issues. TY. I just didnt want bad info being the first answer a searcher would see.
The moderation team has begun discussion for this very topic. Nad just ofr reference Greenpedro was also notified of the edit when it was done.
Thank you again for expressing your concerns.

We do have a ret-con policy which we can use to clean up a thread by removing inaccurate, off-topic, irrelevant, or downright confusing post content through either edits or deletion. The goal of this is to keep threads coherent and as factually accurate as possible without getting into difference-of-opinion territory. It's usually not used for this purpose quite so aggressively and you're right that it can be a slippery slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.