What kind of career can I look for in computers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1694414
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1694414

I have been interested in computers since I was a kid. I love learning about them and I actually build computers mostly based off of YouTube videos and on-line tutorials. I also learned python, Fortran, C, C++, html, and java. Now I am 17 and am looking for computer career ideas. I really like building computers and would like to know what kind of career the tech here on Toms Hardware are in.

Thanks!

Solution

Well a network administrator in the most basic terms looks after a network and or expands/builds...

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
The thing is ... if you love what you are doing it doesn't matter since you will be 200% or more effective then anybody who just works 2 earn money without passion even he has better skills than you at the start.
Some people just get at certain point of their knowledge and sit there to get a payroll, while someone with passion will outperform such person in long term... its only a matter of time.

Building computers itself isn't such a secret knowledge anymore, its indeed practical but there is very limited demand on that.
Focus on programming with those language you know already but stay on track with newer languages as well.
Play with some SQL since DB's are everywhere now, also C# would be a nice addition to what you know already. Those 2 shouldn't be any problem for you since you have some background already.

After all its very hard to give you precise advices since all depends of demands on the local market you are living, so check the job offers in the area you a living or will be living, it might give you some clues about what is important or not there.

Clarion, python, C++, C#... programmer here ;)
Btw I've also start playing with PC hardware -> networking->getting networking degree, but in the meantime at university i've found programming gets me crazy. When doing school projects i was like on drugs and now I'm still addicted ;)

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
It really depends on what you want, as mentioned building computers won't really give you much in the career aspect of things. However as a programmer you have a ton of options and heaps to learn, if that interests you perhaps lean over towards that. So far I've been leaning towards networking and plan on expanding further in that area.

D

Deleted member 1694414

What kind of things does a networker do? If networker is even a thing ha ha. I didnt even know that networking was in its own separate career type. I thought that computers were one thing and programming them were another. If that isnt the case what other kind of computer careers are there?

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Well a network administrator in the most basic terms looks after a network and or expands/builds it. Lets say if you have a office with 50 computers, the network admin needs to make sure they are all functioning by being able to connect to the internet, use devices like shared printers and have access to what they need. Alongside upgrading and maintaining the servers, making sure all security is up to scratch an so forth. It's a really big topic, perhaps you should do some Google searches if it interests you further.

As for IT careers in general, their is way too many to even name ranging from as we mentioned programmers, network admins, engineers for systems, software. Security(can come with being a network admin) analysts, scientists and the list goes on :p

Hope that helps and gives you some insight, feel free to choose a solution if no one else replies after awhile :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS