3 monitors 2 graphics cards only 2 displays working

r416alex

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
I have two r9 to 280x crossfire and three monitors. I have two monitors connected through mini display port to display port to HDMI adapter and the other one connected through only HDMI to the primary card. In catalyst control Center I have crossfirex enabled. On the second graphics card I have my third display connected straight to the HDMI port on the secondary card. Catalyst control Center will not detect the third monitor as even being there but windows will detect it. How can I get all three to work together?

Solution
The second problem you have is that AMD cards of that generation support a maximum of 2 non-displayport monitors. Or, put another way, the 3rd and every subsequent monitor must be a displayport connection.

The workaround is to use an "active" displayport adapter.

Is your DP -> HDMI adapter an "active" adapter? They tend to be a little more expensive and will usually say eyefinity capable or the like. The "active" word is the key one.

If it's just a passive adapter it will work fine at present (because you're only running 2 monitors), but as soon as you attempt to connect the third you need either a native displayport connection or ACTIVE adapter. You can pick up an active DP -> HDMI adapter for $11...
The second problem you have is that AMD cards of that generation support a maximum of 2 non-displayport monitors. Or, put another way, the 3rd and every subsequent monitor must be a displayport connection.

The workaround is to use an "active" displayport adapter.

Is your DP -> HDMI adapter an "active" adapter? They tend to be a little more expensive and will usually say eyefinity capable or the like. The "active" word is the key one.

If it's just a passive adapter it will work fine at present (because you're only running 2 monitors), but as soon as you attempt to connect the third you need either a native displayport connection or ACTIVE adapter. You can pick up an active DP -> HDMI adapter for $11: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J02E43896&cm_re=active_displayport_to_hdmi-_-9SIA6J02E43896-_-Product

Solution