3rd monitor won't work even with active adapter

ckcmoney3

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Hello superfantastic Tom's Hardware people!

I recently picked up a third monitor and I wanted to hook it up to my powercolor radeon 7970. My first two are hooked up via dvi and I read that for a third I needed and active mini displayport to hdmi adapter. So I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDSZX1G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I hook it up it is detected by windows such is I can see it in catalyst control center and it wakes up when i move the mouse but there is no video. On the monitor it says "No Signal Please check your connection" and has a little picture of a plug and a monitor.

This happens even when it is the only monitor plugged in. I have also tried both displayports.

Any tips, tricks, or "Hey, that happened to me"'s would be greatly appreciated.

ckcmoney3

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I tried a different cable and it still didnt work. I tried it on a different monitor and it worked fine, with bith the same hdmi cable and a different one.

From this it appears to be my monitor. It is the LG 24MP56HQ-P. I had it plugged strait into the graphics card earlier via hdmi and it worked fine.

ckcmoney3

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

The only other port is vga and it works when plugged into that. It also works when the hdmi is plugged directly into the gpu. The monitor for some reason does not seem to work with the adaptor.

ckcmoney3

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Thats what I was afraid of. The other two are DVI only. I guess ill return the adapter and get a mini displayport to dvi instead.

Thanks alot for your help anyway.