Anti Static Wrist Strap

Xrunner98

Reputable
May 22, 2014
So I am a bit confused on how to use this thing. I know you can either ground by connecting it to the plugged in but turned off PSU or bond by connecting the strap to the case. Which one is better? Also, I heard that the PSU or Case can't be painted for the strap to work. Is that true? My case is a Fractal Define R5 and my PSU is an EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold.

Solution
how i do it is just use the clip on the strip to attach it to the case while it is on your wrist but leaveing the PSU outside of the case to not introduce any more electral components than needed. Also build it in a room with either a stone or a wooden floor as carpet will generate electricty onto your skin that should be disapaited through the use of an anti-static strap but still better safe than sorry.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
You need to be connected to an earth ground. If the PSU is plugged in and the frame of the PSU is connected to earth ground then that is fine. If you haven't even checked the outlet, you don't really know. I prefer to plug an outlet tester into the outlet to verify the outlet is correct and then use the ground hole in a verified outlet.

Xrunner98

Reputable
May 22, 2014

Is it better than bonding?

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
how i do it is just use the clip on the strip to attach it to the case while it is on your wrist but leaveing the PSU outside of the case to not introduce any more electral components than needed. Also build it in a room with either a stone or a wooden floor as carpet will generate electricty onto your skin that should be disapaited through the use of an anti-static strap but still better safe than sorry.

Solution