Kingston Hyperx Savage and HyperX Beast in dual channel Both 2133mhz CL11 version

f3n1x187

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Hi peeps of Tom´s Hardware

A few months ago I bought an upgrade kit on a local store, the memory that came with the kit was a kingston hyperx beast 2133mhz 8GB, a single stick, I think it was half of a 16gb kit that was split between two computers the store was building at the time.

I have been unable to find another stick to complete the 16gb kit (they are only sold in pairs), and I know it is not the optimal to use memories that haven´t been matched by the manufacturer.

But I am wondering if using a HyperX Savage instead would work in dual channel, the 2133mhz 8GB version is pretty much the same as the HyperX Beast, according to the Tech specs in Kingston´s website, only the heatsink changes.

Or if I should just scrap it, buy an already matched kit and save the extra stick I got.

These are the specs of the computer I got

ASUS M5A99X.
AMD FX 8320.
Kingston HyperX Beast 8gb 2133mhz.
Gigabyte GTX 970 (Non G1 Version).
Cooler Master Extreme 2 725w PSU.

The timings are slightly different (11-12-12 vs 11-13-13), but there's a good chance that they'll work together. Only way to know for sure is to try it. Buy it through Amazon - they have a very liberal return policy. If it doesn't work, even with BIOS tweaks, you can always return it and go for a matched set. My experience with Kingston DRAM in general, and HyperX Beast in particular, are that they're pretty robust and not very finicky. Granted, my experience is limited to a single 32GB set, but it is what it is. Give it a shot - it's a very low-risk proposition.

f3n1x187

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Both showed the same XMP profile on the specifications, I will try this as soon as I get the budget sorted, but thanks for the help :D

• XMP Profile #1: DDR3-2133 CL11-12-12 @1.6V