Confusion over Device Encryption with TPM

Pan

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hi everybody

I've recently purchased an Asus X205TA laptop which seems to have a TPM chip and all the requirements to use the built-in device encryption under Windows 8.1 core. As somebody who has used full-disk encryption under Truecrypt in the past, I'm a bit confused as to what is going on though and wondered if somebody here might be able to advise me.

When I first powered-on the machine, in PC info (found from the settings charm which leads to Change PC settings -> PC and Devices), device encryption had an option to switched off encryption which made me think it was on by default. It said I needed a Microsoft account to finish encrypting it. I'm not sure what this really means. In file explorer, no encryption symbol appeared for the icon on Drive C.

After signing on with a Microsoft account, it informed me that encrypting will proceed as long as I'm signed in as an administrator and an encrypted symbol appeared for the icon of Drive C. Control panel -> Device encryption gives no details at all apart from offering me a chance to backup my recovery key. PC info now shows no information at all. I don't even have any details on how the encryption is proceed, assuming it's not done already. Or even if it's active, although Computer Management in Control Panel informs me that the drive is Bitlocker Encrypted.

Running "tpm.msc" from the command line reports that the TPM is ready for use with reduced functionality. If it is in use, apparently it reports that even though it doesn't here. It does allows me to clear and prepare it to enable the chip, but I don't want to start doing that at the moment in case it blocks access to the current disk. But it would be nice to know what is going on in this area, maybe I'm missing something important.

Assuming the drive is encrypted, was it so from the start or did it start to encrypt after I logged in with a Microsoft account? Is there any way to see a status of the encrypting process at the current time?

I've done some reading on TPM chips and how the encryption works, but there is some confusion. Does the drive get unlocked before Windows starts booting or after? Is it tied to the OS or merely a system-drive link? If you use a live CD and try to access the drive, I assume that you'd only see the encryption and not the data?

Truecrypt always made it fairly obvious what was happening before, but not so in this case and so I'm wondering as to what is going on :)

Thanks to anybody who responds :)