Want to update a P6100 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomx

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi, I have a acer laptop with a Intel P6100 processor,can you suggest a update that will give me a bit more speed etc?

tomx

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi thanks for your reply,Iv been advised a Intel i3 or even a i5 would do it ?,I will investigate further,once again thanks

tomx

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi, thanks for reply,I take your point BUT they would be quicker (wouldnt they) and give me some extra power?

runswindows95

Distinguished
That is, as zulfadhli pointed out, IF you can upgrade them. A lot of laptop OEM's restricted CPU upgrades by either locking the BIOS so it won't, or soldering the CPU in place Also, the P6100 is a totally different socket than the Core i3/i5 family. Better off saving towards a new one.

smoothdude

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
You should be able to upgrade from the p6100 to an i3 or i5 as it is the same socket and uses the same amount of watts. I think that I am going to try and upgrade the cpu in my gateway from the p6100 to the i5-460M.

The P6100 is basically an i3 without hyperthreading and maybe a few minor things disabled, so an i3 or i5 mobile will fit in the socket but whether its soldered in and whether the board will support it is another matter.

smoothdude

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
It is not soldered in. I have taken apart a similar laptop and removed my p6100 just to prove that you can do it. The problem will be if the BIOS will recognize the new chip.

I am going to upgrade the p6100 with the i5 460m as I have just ordered my new chip off of ebay. I will post back here once it is complete about how it went.

tomx

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi, thanks for the info-its makes sense to me the P6100 would not be soldered in,the i5 was the one I was thinking of using for the change,I would be interested to know the result of your change- good luck and once again thanks.

smoothdude

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

I just wanted to say that I received my new cpu i5 460m and installed into my Gateway NV55C which had an Intel P6100. The processor fit right into the socket which was an 988a (G1 socket), and the laptop booted right up with no problems.

Once Windows booted up, I had to restart it because of the new hardware, however, this job was a success. My windows rating went up from 5.7 to 6.7 for the processor.

tomx

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Thanks for the info, im going to do the same,glad everythings ok,heres to the next time!, once again thanks. TomX

smoothdude

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
All I can say is, wow, my laptop feels like a completely new machine. Bootup times are more than half as fast, and programs are extremely quick. The i5 is an awesome investment. Good luck with your upgrade, Tomx.

smoothdude

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I did this project on a computer that my school gave us as part of the tuition. So after I changed out the processor on my laptop others followed suit. There have been about 8 or 9 people that I know of that have done the same thing since, and have used various icore moble processors in the i3 and i5 family.

I noticed that there was an i7 mobile processor that fits the socket, however, I have not tried that one because it was $300. Just note the i7 mobile processors that are quad core, do not have a graphics chip on them so if you don't have a dedicated video card, they will not work. The two core i7 processors will work however.

Good luck.

krisam36

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Hi smoothdude:

I read the whole thread and I have an exactly same problem. I have brand new sony vaio laptop with P6100 CPu. want to upgrade to I5.I do not know whether the chip is soldered or not and whether bios will accept the change.

Have you heard anyone upgrading a vaio or do you have suggestions howto about this?

I really appreciate your inputs.

smoothdude

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
krisam36,

I am fairly certain that you can do this on a Vaio. If you feel comfortable taking apart a laptop, you can take it apart and see if you can remove the laptop.

As for the bios, what I would do is look at the Vaio line that is in your laptop's family. Generally they will make the same laptop line with various processors in them. You can be certain that those processors will work. Just remember that the P6100 and P6200 processors have the same socket as the first generation icore processors, so the second generation icore processors will not fit.

Good luck. The upgrade on my laptop has improved my overall experience with it.

djaber

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
et bien moi j'ai un sony vaio avec un p6100 a la base maintenant je les remplacer par un i3 m330 apres avec un i7 680m
ca veut dir qu'il faut juste avoir un proc avec le meme sockete que le p6100 ça veut dir un rpga 988a et non un 988b
et si ta carte mere supote le fsb du proc que tu veut instalé c tt

Status
Not open for further replies.