DVI-D Dual Monitor Problems

jw102788

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Howdy Folks,

I'm having an issue with using Dual Monitors on my work computer. Basically, we upgraded my computer to a Dell XPS 8700. It has an Intel i7 processor, and an Nvidia GeForce GT 720 graphics card. The graphics card has (3) outputs, an HDMI, a VGA, and a DVI-D. The two monitors I am attempting to use is an AOC 2230F and an Acer AL2216W, and each monitor has both a VGA and DVI-D input.

I understand that DVI-D is a digital signal and VGA is an analog, but it appears that these monitors can process both; they have the option of switching from an analog signal to a digital signal, and so forth based on the signal input.

When I connect both monitors and boot up the computer, the Dell boot screen along with the Windows 7 splash screen appears on the DVI-D connected monitor, and automatically switches to the VGA connected monitor when the log-in screen prompts. After I log-in, the computer only reads the VGA connected monitor and does detect the DVI-D connected monitor at all. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time!

Solution

jw102788

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Thanks for the reply. The computer does not detect the monitor connected with the DVI-D, only the VGA.

Hmm but it seems the motherboard does detect it (hence the splash screen). Try switching the two, use VGA on the one and DVI on the other and see if the issue persists.

I also wonder if the 720 can handle your monitors well. First off, make sure you have the latest graphic drivers installed for the 720. And what resolution are the monitors?

jw102788

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Updating the drivers was the first thing I did, but it didn't help and switching the two monitors yields the same result. With regards to resolution, the AOC has an optimum resolution of 1680 x 1050 (which is what I've got the resolution set to), and the Acer has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

jpn09

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I just purchased an XPS 8700 and am running into the exact same issue trying to hook up a pair of Acer P236H monitors (1920x1080).

Solution