Unable to format (hard drive restores previous state after restart)

uollaa

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I have a problem with my SSD drive (ocz vertex 2 60gb)(which i got from friend as a gift (i supose now it's a gag gift :p)
I'm trying to install windows (10 TP) on it. But the installation stops at 62%(pc) 57%(vaio laptop).

Now, the strange thing is that, although I have formatted it (and/or partitioned), after a restart it restores all the data it had before restart (as if it has not been touched at all)
(it has somekind of windows xp installed on it, but won't boot)

Now, I plugged it in my Mac, and formatted with "fat" (once), and with "mac os extended (journaled)", and it worked flawlessly, read/write, all great; until restart.

When restarted, all previous data was restored as it was never touched.

What to do? does it have maybe somekind of protection?
thank you very much

DataMedic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I'm guessing it's something funny with the partitioning structure that's causing this. Try zero filling the drive. You can use to free version of Active KillDisk to do this. Just make sure you're wiping the physical drive, not the logical volume (DISK 0, Disk 1, etc. not D:, E:, etc.)

After that you should be able to initialize the drive (creates a new partition table) in disk management (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management)