LGa1555 broken,buy a new mobo+cpu or only a new mobo?

sin5k4

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey all, I have been using a Z68 mobo with an overclocked i5 2500K with proper cooling at 4.7 ghz, no problems whatsoever.However for a couple of days I have been getting bootlooping issues with my mobo,so my question is,should I get an old LGA155 mobo with Z chipset and keep the cpu? OR should I get a new cpu+mobo config? Will it worth the upgrade?OR should I get an average board and wait for the next gen cpus?

Regards and thanks for all the suggestions...

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Step 1: determine if mobo is the issue
Load an OS onto a bootable USB (Ubuntu is small, free, and easy to do this with Universal USB Installer)
Boot into Ubuntu

Step 2: report back with news

sin5k4

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
What I meant was actually, should I buy a new mainboard with a lga1155 socket and wait for a newer gen? Or should I change it all together to a 4th gen cpu?

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
If you're mobo isn't actually bad and it's the hard drive or another component, buying a new one won't fix the issue. LGA 1155 isn't made any more and most stocks are empty. If the board is bad, you could always check the warranty and RMA... You may want to upgrade the components, but the current ones listed aren't bad. New CPUs have just been announced too, so waiting may be worth it, but time will tell.