Do dual monitors halve the memory of the graphic card to each monitor?

Velocirapt0r

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I was reading on my windows that one monitor has 2048 and the other the same from my 5000 something mhz card, so if i unplug the second one from the gpu, my first monitor will have all of it? And i will get more fps?

Solution
You are still using some resources by having the second screen, but not nearly as much as if you were rendering the game extended across both screens. Removing the second monitor may not make a huge difference, but I would expect a jump in fps. I would run a benchmark with both monitors, then remove the second monitor and try it again. See what kind of bump you get and if it's worth losing the second screen for.

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Dual monitors does reduce your performance because you have to render twice as many pixels. It doesn't halve the memory or whatever you're referring to. Only using one monitor for gaming will increase your fps if you're having performance issues though.

Velocirapt0r

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

I usually only game on my main one and leave the other one blank, with nothing but one sticky note on it, so that shouldnt affect the fps at all? sometimes when i watch movies on the second one, it lags a bit, but i can understand that, i just want to know if passively having it connected and not doing anything decreases performance or fps

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
You are still using some resources by having the second screen, but not nearly as much as if you were rendering the game extended across both screens. Removing the second monitor may not make a huge difference, but I would expect a jump in fps. I would run a benchmark with both monitors, then remove the second monitor and try it again. See what kind of bump you get and if it's worth losing the second screen for.

Solution

Velocirapt0r

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

so if i turn it off, instead of disconnecting it completely, does that still render it functionless and would take the load off? sorry im a newb to these things

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I bet if you don't have anything running on the other screen and have a simple background it won't tax you much. My advice is to try it both ways, do all your benchmarks with your current 2 screen setup. Then disable the second screen and try it again and see what your gains are.