Make a monitor with the LCD panel from a broken tv

Vudue Priest

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Oye folks,

As the title says, I want to use a working LM215WF1-TLA1 (21.5" FHD LCD Panel) from a broken LG TV to make a monitor for my PC.

I wish I could diagnose which of the boards went bad on the TV (PCB or Control), but I don't understand electrical engineering enough to try. I have seen a ton of the copy and paste "use an old laptop LCD to make a monitor". In that case it would seem I can get an adequate converter and control board from chine for like $33.

I have only seen one company that has a stand alone solution for PCB and Controller, but I cannot for the life of me find the website again. Are any of you aware of anywhere that has cheap OEM or 3rd party parts for this to work? Better yet is there anyone who has done anything like this before on there own?

In a perfect world I would be able to use a display port cable from my PC to the monitor, but since I am asking for the moon, I would also accept DVI or HDMI as the interface input. I plan to see if I can overclock the monitor to 75 HZ minimum, but if I could get 120hz I would go into business making gaming monitors lol.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks may provide.

Vudue Priest

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Ok folks... No bites that's ok.. Anyways I figured our it was the PCB, I could tell because the capacitors were swollen. $26 and 3 weeks of shipping from China will hopefully solve my immediate problem of being without a TV/monitor.

But my question remains, albeit slightly altered:

After a disgusting amount of reading about overclocking LCD panels, no one seems to know how a true 120hz+ signal goes from your GPU to the panel itself. And if anyone knows they are keeping mum.

Since all panels are capable of refreshing at 120hz regardless of input signal, what would it take to make any monitor or tv accept and pass through a 120+hz signal? I have seen either changing the T-Con or Logic Board would in theory support such a feat.

Now the question is are there any semi or completely universal board that would pass a straight signal to the panel? I smell money for a small business to convert panels to true 120HZ, would be an awesome niche to fill.

Mini0510

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

so did you ever get this to work? I'm trying to buy a controller board for my broken Asus ROG 120hz screen. But I don't want to lose the 120hz though

Mini0510

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

ya but i'm looking for 1080p and 120hz ones. I have a feeling the 120hz is the hard part, and the signal quality might be bad.