Does Which College Matter for MIS Degree?

Cgiamarusti

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Hi,
So I'm attending a mostly engineering school because I had originally planned on studying engineering. I've recently switched to MIS. We have a high placement rate (95%) and starting pay for this major, but I'm a little concerned about the fact that the school is well known for its engineering but not its business school. Will this be that big of a deal in getting a job? Thank you!

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
The school doesn't matter as much for business. Certain fields like engineering it can make a difference. Employers will be impressed with an engineering degree from MIT, but you can have a MIS degree just about any school that offers it and be looked at the same.

Cgiamarusti

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Alright! And would you say there is an ok job outlook for MIS? I would love to be a business analyst or web developer specifically but am not completely sure what I want to do.

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
MIS is solid, if you can handle it I think a computer science degree is way better though. MIS is basically a business degree that focuses on databases and general computer stuff. It gives you great skills and is marketable, but a computer science degree is difficult and gives you a very, very marketable skill set. A good computer scientist can make bank!

If you want to be a business analyst MIS is a good choice, you will cover basic programming, web development, database management...all that fun stuff. What it boils down to is this, MIS is relatively easy and sets you up for a pretty good job, computer science is a lot harder but sets up you for a better job and more money.

Good luck man, with whichever you choose.

Cgiamarusti

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

We have computer engineering, I'm assuming this is basically computer science? I'm a female and I heard that the companies need to hire more females in this major. I hope this makes me more marketable! I'm a college freshman so I'm in MIS now. I could switch but I'm not sure if I could handle the stress computer engineering has. I did well in high school (34 ACT, 4.45 gpa) but idk about those college CE classes...