How to get Home Server v2-style email/text notifications on windows 7?

jvoytko

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Ok guys, I had a EX490 homeserver that I had running WHSv2. I fell in love with the feel and features of it, as I was using it as a Mediaserver. It started overheating, problems occured, and I was quickly running out of space. I had to upgrade. Well, I upgraded to a mid-tower custom built that I had laying around the workshop with an i3 processor and DH55HC intel board. Works much much smoother. However, I've been missing my nightly emails and texts that I received from the WHS OS letting me know the system health and I never had to log into it. Just checked my email on my phone, boom all the info I needed.

Does anyone know how to get these notifications on Windows 7? I understand it will probably require extra software, some that I may have to pay for but nonetheless if I like it enough during the trial, I will.

Anyone have any recommendations??

Are you talking about WHS 2011? I don't think there was WHS v2 (the Vail project was WHS v2, but this was just the beta).

Have you tried installing WHS on your new computer? What is your current OS on your server?

jvoytko

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Yes I have actually. I still call it v2 even though it is 2011, that's my bad.

I did try that, actually. There was a bit of an issue with drivers installing and just got tired of it as it houses my dvd collection and I don't have a dvd player anywhere in the house other than a pc. I'm currently running 7. Here is the speccy summary for info:
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz 29 °C
Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH55HC (XU1) 94 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1368x770@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Intel)
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00J7B0 ATA Device (SATA) 43 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0 ATA Device (SATA) 36 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AADS-11M2B1 ATA Device (SATA) 25 °C
2048GB Covecube Virtual Disk (SCSI)
7GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device (USB)

WHS 2011 should work with Windows 7 drivers.
I am afraid I cannot help you with notifications since this is the first thing I turn off ;) The WHS tray icon on the clients is more than enough to tell me what is the network health.

jvoytko

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I kept trying to install the drivers off the original intel driver disc and it would reject the drivers each time.

I don't install the client software as I'm not using this to backup any clients. All I'm using it for was the mediaserver. I am also travelling around the country for work so the client software doesn't connect unless I'm home and having a VPN messes up software I require on my laptop for work as well. I am pretty much a darned if I do and if I don't aren't I?

It's being a while since I played with Intel board, but - try to install missing drives manually (not using the autorun off disk), choosing Windows 7 drivers. Intel boards are quite standard and well-maintained, so you should be able to find drivers for them.

What drivers you are missing, BTW?

jvoytko

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I was actually manually installing them by going into the device manager and pointing it at the drivers on the disc, rather than the auto installer. I knew the auto installer wouldn't work as it's designed mainly for the home user line of operating systems.

As for the drivers, it was requiring video, ethernet, and chipset. I think there was another one or maybe more it was requiring but I cannot remember for the life of me for the moment.