EVGA GTX 970 acx 2.0 temp hitting 75c while playing BF4 on ultra settings is that bad ?

ronnronn15

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Here's my complete computer parts:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans

My friend assembled my PC so i have no idea how he placed the fans but im using

Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans - FRONT
Two SP120L High Performance on top
and 1 stock fan in the rear.

Any suggestion if adding 1 more fan at the bottom and changing the rear stock fan will help me make my gpu temp down to 70-72 while on ultra settings?

ibrahimasghar

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Dude that's not bad, but it's on the higher side, i've heard about EVGA cards getting hotter than others. Just know that the reference design of GTX 980 goes as high as 80 degrees when under full load, i doubt 970 is any different. So i think 75 isn't much. How is the ventilation in your case?. Is there a lot of dust on your card or fans?. Turning 3D settings higher or to Ultra in BF4 will definitely shoot up the temperatures, especially textures, what's your AA setting?, 2x MSAA or 4x MSAA?.

I've recently bought MSI GTX 980 and i'm still monitoring temperatures while playing graphically intensive games like BF4 and Dragon Age Inquisition, i noticed after about playing for 40 minutes to an hour, the card's temperature was 61-65 degrees. But MSI is known for cooler cards because of their Twin Frozr design, although i still need to monitor my card with more games. EVGA cards are known for higher temperatures and power consumption, so i guess it's normal. An 80+ temperature would be alarming.

Also, what's the temperature when the card is Idle?.

ronnronn15

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Its a new built pc with so i doubt that there is a problem with the dirt,

My idle temp is 41c thats for GPU and 75c max when playing B4 ultra settings.

As for the ventilation im not really sure how my friend placed the fans but its a positive air flow as i can feel the cold air coming out.

Back to my other question does changing the rear stock fan and adding a new fan below the case would it help me decrease the temp by 2-3 Celsius?

-Lone-

Admirable
Yeah, if you face them the right direction, front, bottom, and side should be for in take air into your case, your rear and top should be out take. Put your hand in front of the fans and feel if it is pushing or pulling.

ibrahimasghar

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Totally, if you're placing a fan below, the top must be exhausting the air out, if they're front fans, the back has to be the exhaust which i think is default in your case. And don't worry about the temperature dude, i think 75 is okay, after all it's a 900 series card, btw i totally like your PC build.

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, have your fans blowing like Lone said as I have 2 of the same cards you have in SLI and both idle around 35c and hover around 70c during intense gaming and I have an SLI setup, it could be a bit cooler for you since you have only 1 card.

Your build is similar to mine as we have the same CPU and such.

ronnronn15

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

Alright since you guys know lots of stuff that i dont when you are removing/changing the fans do you need to remove some of the hardware inside? I might start doing it by myself cause my friend seems to be a really busy person.

ronnronn15

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Yes by changing the fans from push to pull.
I just found out that my rear,top and 1 front are all out take and i only have 1 intake in the front SOUNDS a problem dont you think?

-Lone-

Admirable
No, no hardware tweaking required, just look at the sides of the fans, there should be a little arrow pointing at a direction, that will tell you which way the air is blowing to, so if you want in take, make the arrow face toward inside of your case, if you want out take, make the arrow face toward outside the case.

ronnronn15

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I see i shall do this tomorrow when i get home from work, you guys are awesome. Im off to bed thanks for sharing your knowledge!