Recommended RAM for Asus Rampage V Extreme & i7 5930k

Gabriel S

Honorable
Oct 12, 2014
I'm looking for a set of 4x4 GB DDR4 RAM to assemble together with an Asus Rampage V Extreme (X99) motherboard and an Intel Core i7 5930k CPU.

The only aspect i'm decided about is the quantity - 16 GB should be enough for most of the activities nowadays, from what i've researched.

I'll be using my PC build for high-end gaming but also for software development (think modern IDEs such as Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio) and maybe also some grid-computing activities. I don't need the utmost performance from my RAM modules; i've read that above 2400-2600 MHz the performance increments are negligible compared to the added price, but i may be wrong. I'm not planning on doing any crazy RAM overclocking but some decent or good overclocking capabilities are more than welcome (i'm not so knowledgeable about OC by the way). I was thinking first of a Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800 MHz (16 GB), but they seem way overpriced compared to the corresponding Vengeance model, for instance.

I would greatly appreciate if you could recommend me an appropriate set of RAM modules for these specifications.

Willem0

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
i personaly love corsair, so if i would be you i would go with the dominator platinum, but they can be expensive.
There is crucial memory now days, so can be worth checking it out to.

DDR4 isn't really on the market yet (what i can check out) (there are some brands launching into the market) but yea, if i would be you i would get the dominator corsair, otherwise check the crucial memory's out...

Gabriel S

Honorable
Oct 12, 2014

Thanks for the tip! Another thing, would you say the Ripjaws 2800 MHz model is worth the added price (about 50$ more)?

-Lone-

Admirable

Oh yeah, only $50 for 400 more MHz, I was gonna do that but I wasn't going to use that much, so if you think you'll ever go up that high by OC'ing the CPU, then go it for such a small price increase, but if you think 2400MHz max is enough for you, then you can save the $50 extra. If you're going to get this RAM, I'd go for the black ones, the others doesn't have reviews as good as the blacks for whatever reason.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42800c16q16grk

Edit: I have the F4-2400C15Q-32GRK, which is the 32GB version of the first link I provided, so far I've had no issues whatsoever. Also, we have the same exact system, for CPU and mobo anyways, so I'm your living proof that they work very well, lol.