Triple Monitor Problem with R9 290

natts133

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hey guys. This one is stumping me... and I apologize for the long post. I have a Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 OC edition, and recently got three Dell S2340L monitors to run in a 3-monitor setup. They won't all work properly together (1 or 2 or all 3 will go into powersaver mode, not detecting any input).

The problem seems to stem from the adapters I am using. Since these monitors only have VGA and HDMI, I am running one through the HDMI output on my R9 290, and the other two through the DVI outputs via two DVI to HDMI adapter. (The R9 has two DVI outputs, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort).

The real puzzler to me is that I can plug an older DVI monitor in with a straight DVI - DVI cable with no issue. I still am running one of the new monitors through the DVI>HDMI adapter, and it works great. I have tried switching to the other adapter and it also works. However as soon as I use 2 DVI>HDMI adapters, it starts messing up.

By messing up, I mean a variety of tech ailments befall my desktop, and it is seldom the exact symptom as before.

Sometimes all three will boot up, but as soon as I open CCC, the program starts blinking/flickering. I can successfully click a button by clicking it quickly over and over, and eventually it registers (implying the program is flickering not just visually but functionally). This doesn't happen with other programs.

If I manage to enable eyefinity, all hell breaks loose, and one to three monitors go black/and or enter powersave mode.

Usually the computer will boot, and I will see it post on 2 of the three monitors, but upon windows loading, some or all go black and/or enter powersave mode.

Once again, eyefinity and all else works great when I am only using one of the DVI>HDMI adapters, even though I'm still using both DVI slots on my video card. Could I solve the problem by doing one DVI>HDMI adapter and one DP>HDMI adapter? I do not know!

In case it is helpful, my setup is as follows:
Gigabyte m3 Sniper motherboard
16gb RAM
i5 3570k (standard clock)
SSDs
Sapphire Vapor-X r9 290 OC edition (standard clock)
Windows 7

Thanks a bunch guys.

Thanks a lot folks!

natts133

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hmm... in case anyone else is having this problem... a closer look at the AMD forums shows that this might be a problem with the new drivers (14.2 omega), and can sometimes be fixed by reverting to 14.9. Haven't tried going back yet, might just wait for new drivers to come out and hope it is fixed, though that is lazy of me. Perhaps also lazy of AMD.