How hot does your CPU/GPU get while gaming?

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
For:
Dragon Age: Inquisition:
Far Cry 4
Assassins Creed: Unity:

My cpu gets to about 65-70C under load for all 3 games at close to max settings with steady FPS with iTunes playing and Firefox in the background

GPU a couple degrees lower.

My Rig:
Intel i5 4690 (stock fan)
Z97 Gaming 5
Palit GTX 970 4GB
16GB Corsair Pro Series RAM
K380 Cooler Master CPU Case 2 intake 1 exhaust

Curious if my rig can be improved and others experiences

qubits

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
you could get a aftermarket cpu cooler but your running cool enough

your cpu's max temp for stability and longevity is 80c and the gpu can handle much higher temps with stability

abeer72

Honorable
Feb 24, 2014
basically 80c is the absolute max for any cpu,more than that and the cpu will throttle.70c is reccomended for long term use.
For gpus the max is 90c and reccomended is still 70c.

qubits

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
eh don't burn unless you overclock.. your gaming temps are telling you enough if that is the most demanding thing your doing.

not in danger of hurting anything or decreasing the lifespan but if you want to run cooler get a after market cooler and another exhaust fan.

I'd put on a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and you should drop that temp by about 10C...if you have good airflow through your case of course. My 3570k never gets above 54C even during stress tests like prime95. I have two fans on the cpu cooler though, the "pull" one is set to run at 100% power all the time and the "push" one runs at 60% until the temp gets above 60C (which it never does).

dominirican3351

Reputable
May 10, 2014
The reason it is soo high is because stock cooler was not really designed to run cpu at 100% load over the course of hrs. If you are playing very demanding games it is recommended to buy an aftermarket cooler. As RCguitarist recommended the hyper 212 is an amazing cooler I use one in my second pc on my 4770k oc to 4.3. For stock speeds it will do wonders and will probably be quieter than your current stock cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=hyper212-_-35-103-099-_-Product

Your current CPU temps are fine, and safe. But they could definitely be improved on.
The GPU temps are just fine, and no further action needs to be taken

The stock cooler is pathetic. Even an aftermarket cooler in the $20 price range will severely drop temps and severely lower the amount of noise coming from the case. As you wont be overclocking all that much, a cooler over $20 is not exactly necessary... but a more expensive cooler WILL be even more quiet.

If the $20 price range sounds appealing, I would highly recommend the cooler master Tx3.
If you want to spend more than that, the $40 Hyper 212 evo is your best bet.

Anything more than the evo would be a complete waste, for your current chip... as you cannot overclock very much.

AKLT

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for the response guys, i think the hyper 212 is the way to go. Not sure if it will be able to fit my box. The K380 is big, but from the pictures of the cooler, the hyper 212 looks massive lol

K380 Maximum compatibility for CPU cooler height: 155mm / 6.1 inch

Hyper 212 dimensions : 120 x 80 x 159 mm

http://www.mersenne.org/download/
Closely monitor temps when attempting "burn" tests.

-Lone-

Admirable

Thanks

Prime95 (the program linked) will stress your CPU to a literal 100%. It is often used to check an overclocks stability, as if it is unstable the test will fail.
If you want to know more about it I recommend researching it elsewhere as it's irrelevant to this thread :)