Opinions/Suggestions on first build

Leo Maximus

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
I'll try to keep this short. I'm a noob at building PCs. I've started compiling a list after weeks of studying, but I'm still learning. I keep finding answers here so I figured I'd post my hypothetical build. This is primarily going to be for gaming in 1080p with very high refresh rates. I may do some video recording & editing as well.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
MOBO: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD #1: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
SSD #2: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: (2) MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V (Run in SLI)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower
PSU: Corsair 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: (2) Asus BC-12B1ST
Monitor: (2) BenQ XL2420Z 24.0"
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR

Misc.
Case fans: (2) Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm
NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller
NZXT HUE RGB Led Controller
EVGA Pro SLI Bridge
(2) Gold Plated 6' DisplayPort Cables

There are other various peripherals, but none that should impact the build's performance.

logainofhades

Titan
What is your budget for the non Misc. stuff? I honest think you are overspending on stuff here. So much so, that I think you could afford dual 1440p monitors with some tweaks. 1200w PSU is overkill. Do not need more than an Evga 850w G2. Great GPU selection. I have the same case, no real complaints. Not sure why the two different SSD's, but you can get a good deal on Crucial M550 256gb, currently. WD blacks are not worth the added cost, really. Any particular reason for dual optical drives? Motherboard is more expensive than necessary, and not sure you need the sound card either. Motherboard should come with the SLI bridge.

Leo Maximus

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
All accessories and parts came out to under $4k. I'd have to check what the cost is of my other peripherals later since I'm at work and can't constantly be on non-work related sites.

Could I still achieve 120 frame rates with 1440p monitors with this setup?

I read somewhere you want to purchase a psu that can last several builds/upgrades which is why I chose the one I have listed. Would this create any problems? I've heard efficiency can be reduced if you aren't using enough power.

One SSD I want dedicated for the os and recording. The other I want strictly for games. I have a pretty large Steam library and I like to play different games often. It would help reduce the frequency of deleting/installing games.

At first I was going to go with a Seagate since their prices are much better and I heard from a friend they're more reliable. I may switch back.

I'll remove the extra SLI bridge then. Any replacement MOBOs you would suggest? My other peripherals are just headset, keyboard, mouse, that sort of stuff.

logainofhades

Titan
Your eyes really cannot see much past 60fps. Also, a decent 1440p is better visual quality vs 1080p. With the emphasis on power savings, lately, you would need a far more powerful rig to make use of a 1200w PSU. The 850 G2 would handle your rig, even with SLI GTX 980's, easily. I have had my TX750 for 5yrs now. :lol: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 is a THG recommended board, for a pretty good price. Ram, I would go with Gskill or Mushkin. Still quality ram, and generally a good deal less expensive.