Is it safe to increase hd7850 2d clock and memory, but leaving voltage default (dual monitor)

Velocirapt0r

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I've noticed some weird graphical glitches for a split second when im playing games in one monitor and watching something in the other, and i want to know if increasing the gpu clock in gpu tweak in 2D MODE from 300 to 500 and memory from 600 to 1200 mhz, but leaving the voltage at default 0.825 is safe, i've read that this should fix it. Alternatively i might just disconnect the second monitor if this doesnt fix it.

PS. my 3d settings are default

I put this into graphics and displays, because i think it fits that more than overclocking.

Solution
Your basically overclocking without adjusting the stock voltage, nothing special. Dont know if you will achieve those numbers without increasing voltage but I bet you can overclock a decent bit.

Follow the basic overclocking procedure, bump it by 50 and later on 25Mhz increments, do a stability test (I run a furmark benchmark, its neat as you have a performance number for each increment) until its not running stable. Bump up the voltage a bit and keep going or back down an increment and your done.

EDIT: also on the 7000 series cards its worth increasing the power limit to its max. Dont know if it applies to lower cards, but the 7970 had problems where at stock it would throttle as it would hit its power consumption limit.
Your basically overclocking without adjusting the stock voltage, nothing special. Dont know if you will achieve those numbers without increasing voltage but I bet you can overclock a decent bit.

Follow the basic overclocking procedure, bump it by 50 and later on 25Mhz increments, do a stability test (I run a furmark benchmark, its neat as you have a performance number for each increment) until its not running stable. Bump up the voltage a bit and keep going or back down an increment and your done.

EDIT: also on the 7000 series cards its worth increasing the power limit to its max. Dont know if it applies to lower cards, but the 7970 had problems where at stock it would throttle as it would hit its power consumption limit.

Solution