Salary for Software Tester

crafty1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
I'm looking for some advice regarding my career. I currently work as a software tester in PA and I'm really not sure if my salary is on par. I'm working a 6 month contract providing services to an electronics company in the area. Before taking the job I did a lot of research but a lot seems to depend on the area you live in and obviously experience. I'm currently finishing my Associates degree in the evening while working 8-5 during the day. I do not regularly interact with the contract agency just where I actually provide services. They provide my work day to day.

I make $32,000 a year right now. I am hourly however. Many employees at this company work through the same contract agency as I do it seems to be like a 70 | 30 ratio from people I have run into ranging from Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers to other Software QA personnel. The technical college where I am finishing up in a term or so is an IT program but I have a background in CSC; I was going to University for a while but decided I did not want to enter programming as a career and it is still true.

I do love my job but the stability is confusing to me and I am not sure if my pay is appropriate. This is my first "real" job but I wonder if in a year or two ( supposing my contract gets renewed ) it would be beneficial to change companies. The technical college graduates I attend school with tend to end up in IT Helpdesk positions and the school estimates many of them will make $28-$32k a year out of school.

My questions are first does $32k sound low to anyone for software testing or is that appropriate given my level of education? I did research around before taking the position obviously plus jobs are hard to come by.

Second, many of the people I work with seem to have been on the 6 month contract there for years. Some 2 years others more. This sounds to me like what people would call a permatemp. If they decide not to renew my contract in April ( been working since October ) will they make me aware I need to begin the hunt again? What specifically concerns me is that I am working on a lot of testing that was previously done by my superior ( test lead ) who now is often away for weeks at a time in another state on another project. Supposedly he will be done in May so I'm concerned that when he is done there they will tell me to hit the road. It's a possibility but I am wondering if anyone can provide some insight on situations like this if they have had a scenario like this before.

On a final note I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I like software testing and intend to continue it as my career long term. I didn't want to develop for a living so I very much like my job and feel like what I do is important and I like the people I work with. Thanks for any help in advance.

crafty1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
I'm really not sure to be honest. I haven't asked any co-workers what they are paid because it's a bit personal. Most of my friends are still in college. I have been using Payscale and other websites to try to determine ( before I even took the position ). I've just been thinking a lot about it because cost of living is high for me at least. Not sure about everybody else in the US.

I appreciate your quick response; Do you have any advice regarding contract length? Why do I have co-workers that have been there for 2 years on 6 month contracts? My position seems pretty stable as we always have tons of testing to do. It just confuses me. I know companies do it to save money. My benefits come from the contractor not the place where I work. It's odd to me to see some people working for them and others working for the contractor.

My father is a chemical engineer and I know he told me a lot of their CAD workers and operators are contractors. I guess Im repeating myself but I thought contracts were by definition short term? He told me a story about one guy who wanted to work for the direct company but actually lost money because as a contractor he was hourly and got a ton of overtime. When he moved to salary he actually lost money.

Should I be concerned that I don't work directly for them? Or is that a good sign that many people have been there for years? Thanks again for the insight ; I don't have too many people to ask about career advice.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't ask your co-workers.
But PA salaries can differ wildly. Philly would be far different than Lewisburg.

Contract vs direct hire. All depends. Hopefully, the company you work for that contracts you out will just aim you at another place to work at.

Where I work, we have mostly direct hires (me) and some contract workers.

crafty1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2014
Hey thanks I appreciate your input it means a lot. Now I do have another question regarding pay. I was hired in October and in December they did a performance review but I didn't receive any kind of raise. It makes sense given that I only worked there for 3 months at that point but do contractors normally get that cost of living raise too? I have heard a lot of people say 5% raises aren't happening and a lot of people get like 2%.

USAFRet

Titan

Raises are very much company specific.
Finish school. Get a degree and maybe some certifications. Build up some experience.

Keep looking for something else. The best way to get a 'raise' is to get another job.